Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have noticed that I have 2 groups of pumilo that 2 are piggy backing across the tank. I know this is signs of male fighting. My question is Is this 100 percent accurate in possible sexing males? I have seperated the ones doing this and have heard no calling from the less dominate or non-calling one I have taken from the tanks. Just curious.........

G

·
0 Posts
Josh,
When I first got my green pumilios they were young so I kept 3 of them in my 20high vert. After awhile I heard one male calling and thought great I have a 1.2.Then about 2 weeks later one I thought might be a female started calling.The little male tested his dominance and the bigger one that had been calling went silent.After a few days I noticed them both up in the same brom and saw a bit of chasing but nothing serious.
It wasn't but a few days later they went to all out wresting and falling off the brom so I got a chance and pulled out the smaller male.
He hasn't said much since and has a very nice 10g all to himself.
When the male were fighting they usually locked uop belly to belly until dominance was established then it was the amplexus looking hold the big male would put on the smaller one.
It was awesome to watch but I knew if I let them settle their argument I would be at work and one would end up being dead.

I am no expert on pumilios with the greens being my first but I would say it seems to me that they also need a visual stimulis to get them calling moreso then just hearing another one calling.
Mark W.

·
Registered
379 Posts
In a large enough tank and enough broms to fight over i would almost recomend keeping 2 or more males together with a female. it seems the fighting males seem to induce better breeding results. but I haven't had enough experience with pumilio to state this as a fact, I just recomend trying it under good supervision, and I have seen good results when there are multiple males/females in a larger enclosure rather than a pair in a smaller one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts