Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see who has the oldest dart.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow 16yrs? That's awesome!!! Anyone else have any old darts?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have a pair of vents that are pushing 7 years each, but this is no record for sure. At my old job we had an auratus pair that were about 12 years old. Some of the tincs were pushing 8. The most impressive to me though was a 5 year old oyopock that finally passed last year.

Justin

G

·
I was wondering what if any differences there are in life expectancies for thumbnails vs other frogs. If most thumbnails reach sexual maturity at a younger age than other darts would one assume they live shorter lives?

-Tad

G

·
I Have the First 3 Azureus I purchesed from Antony Hunt over 10 Years ago. He had F1s right from the Zoo that brought them in so Mine are F2s.

G

·
"Drop Dead" was about 8 years old but we just recently lost him.

I also have 3 Green & Blacks which were the first Darts I Importated when I was just a Regular Importer about 12 years ago and they were Adults when I got them. Then I have 2 Leucomelas form 10 years ago that I got from Brian Kapis the Spider guy that died a few years ago.

So I have a few old memorys in a few of them.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Just to fill everyone in, "Drop Dead" was a frog Bill had who would turn over and play dead whenever threatened. He did it so much, he was named.

Quality Exotics said:
"Drop Dead" was about 8 years old but we just recently lost him.

I also have 3 Green & Blacks which were the first Darts I Importated when I was just a Regular Importer about 12 years ago and they were Adults when I got them. Then I have 2 Leucomelas form 10 years ago that I got from Brian Kapis the Spider guy that died a few years ago.

So I have a few old memorys in a few of them.

G

·
I just recently bought a book, with lots of nice color photos, and many of the pictures said the frog was "playing dead" I've never witnessed/heard of that before.

Anyone ever seen their frogs play dead before?

is it common?

-Tad

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Tad,

I used to have a male pumilio that would stick it's rear legs out, turn over, and then stick it's tongue out- as if it were playing dead. I had a giant orange tinc that would do it as well, but only if you harrassed him enough.

Justin

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know Fire Belly Toads play dead. It's part of their defense mechanism. Thus the bright orange belly! I have heard of other species doing the same thing. However, I read a study that examined the corticosteroid levels before and after the experience and it showed a dramatic increase. Not too good for the animal. Corticosteroids are a hormone released by the body as part of the "fight or flight" response system.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I had a trio of wc auratus that I had one month short of 18 years when they died. No telling their true age.

Its my opinion that the smaller frogs should like 8-10 years or were doing somethiing wrong. Larger frogs should like 12 to 15 years. How you doing?

Best,

Chuck

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweet. I am still in the research phase and all the info helps tremendously, it goes a long way convincing the wife that the frogs will live a long while. I got my tank all setup I'm just waiting on the pump for my water feature and then add frogs. I've set up a 20L for temp housing and a 55. I can't wait. another week or two and I'll start with my FFs. Then get the frogs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts