Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently bought a second-hand 45x45x45 terrarium which I'm going to house 2 whites tree frogs in. When I got the tank, it was quite dirty and I think they had kept a lizard in it or something because it really stank. I gave it a proper deep clean with bleach and window cleaner - it's clean and dry now and I've wiped it down with wet tea-towels with just water to wipe away any residue - is this ok? I'm assuming that all the chemicals etc would have evaporated/been wiped away? I'm just wary how absorbent white's skin can be and don't want them soaking in any leftover chemicals? The terrarium would have been left a few days before I get the frogs.

Other than that - how often should I feed them as babies? I understand that gut-loaded crickets or mealworms are best that have been calci-dusted but I'm not sure if there are certain "sizes" of crickets depending on the size of the frog?

Finally, what time is best to feed the frog? I'm guessing around 8/9pm when the frog starts to wake up? Any advice would be amazing thanks - this is my first time getting frogs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hello! I recently bought a second-hand 45x45x45 terrarium which I'm going to house 2 whites tree frogs in. When I got the tank, it was quite dirty and I think they had kept a lizard in it or something because it really stank. I gave it a proper deep clean with bleach and window cleaner - it's clean and dry now and I've wiped it down with wet tea-towels with just water to wipe away any residue - is this ok? I'm assuming that all the chemicals etc would have evaporated/been wiped away? I'm just wary how absorbent white's skin can be and don't want them soaking in any leftover chemicals? The terrarium would have been left a few days before I get the frogs.
I would be extra careful and rinse it a few more times. It's better to be safe than sorry. There shouldn't be any detectable smell left from the cleaning agents before the frogs go in.

Other than that - how often should I feed them as babies? I understand that gut-loaded crickets or mealworms are best that have been calci-dusted but I'm not sure if there are certain "sizes" of crickets depending on the size of the frog?
You'll want to feed them at least three times a week when they are babies giving them as much food as they will eat each time but being careful not to leave lots of crickets alive in their cage for too long as this can stress the frogs. Gutloaded crickets and mealworms are fine and you're right that they will need very small ones to start with. While they are growing quickly it's also even more important to dust them with a good quality calcium and vitamin supplement like Repashy calcium plus.
You can actually cool down the crickets in the fridge for a few minutes to slow them down and make it a little easier to dust them.
Something like THIS cricket keeper can make it a lot easier to harvest the crickets.
They will need small ones to begin with that it's more reliable to buy online from somewhere like Online reptile shop as your local reptile shop is less likely to get the smaller sizes in and a lot of them will tend to be dead anyway as they don't usually gut load the crickets at the shop and small ones are particularly prone to starving and dehydration. Don't order 'micro' or hatchling crickets as these will probably be too small. Ask for 2nd or 3rd 'instar' crickets.
Calci worms are a great food too as long as you're not creeped out by maggots. They're very nutritious and easy to gutload but not as fast as crickets.

[/QUOTE] Finally, what time is best to feed the frog? I'm guessing around 8/9pm when the frog starts to wake up? Any advice would be amazing thanks - this is my first time getting frogs.
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly right. They will eat a lot and grow quite quickly, you'll end up needing a bigger cage faster than you might think too.
Don't forget to get them a broad leaved plant like Devils ivy to give them hiding spots underneath the leaves and help maintain a humid microclimate for them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts