Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im planning on making a faux rock formation for one of my tanks but I cant decide/dont know which styrofoam to use. I know there are the pink and blue polystyrene sheets but can i use the white stuff as well? Is there any benefit of using any certain kind for vivs? I have access to free white styrofoam which is why im asking, cause if i dont have to buy the polystyrene that would be awesome :p thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
When you say white, do you mean the kind you find in packing boxes? As this is expanded polystyrene and doesn't carve very well IME.

I used pink polystyrene which is extruded high density poly, same as the blue (unsure on this ones density), much easier to carve - as below :

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use sheets of the white styrofoam to ship in boxes at work and it is pretty crumbly. Ill take a couple of sheets home and do a test. Im going to be covering it with cement for a waterfall maybe the white stuff will make the carving more random and look more natural

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to ask the same thing lol, would you just cut the noodle in half and then stack them side by side until they cover the back of the tank? and then carve it? It would look kind of cool if you got different coloured ones actually :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.