Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kind of curious, what sort of springtails do you all use? I feel like temperate whites are the most common/default, but I was wondering if not these ones, then which ones are people seeding tanks with (and why)? Mostly just seeking out opinions here.

I will add, I started with temperate whites in my first viv, then branched out to tropical pink, which were booming in my main viv for a little while (that is, until the very predatory little SIs got established a couple months later). I have been thinking of just focusing on culturing only the whites for each of my tanks though. Easiest to get, and my little froglets have been eating up my cultures. But those are just my thoughts for now…

·
Administrator
4,773 Posts
I've tried:

"Temperate": these are the standby, like you mention. I'm currently culturing these.
"Tropical": kind of died out over months in culture.
Blue Podura: I got these on clay initially, which I couldn't figure out how to maintain, so I lost them. Cool, but not likely useful for darts.
"Giants": Prolific. And large. And fast. And invasive in isopod bins. I'm currently using these, too.

Reactions: Lovelyk

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
I use "laboratory style" white springtails, or tropical pink springtails (my favorites, most likely to be moving around the tanks), also ridiculously invasive, every one of my Isopod bins has them now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I only have the normal white (Temperate) ones right now, but I just ordered some tropical pinks, and some belted isopods. I'm interested to see if the tropical pinks do well in some of the bigger terrariums I have planned, and the belted are an arid species that I want to use in my Leopard Gecko enclosure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts