Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of my previous threads, fishingguy12345 suggested that I might be happier with a group of ranitomeya like his sirensis (Rio Pachitea Yellow, if I can spell) than the D. auratus I had initially been thinking about. In his setup they behave fairly boldly and spend a lot of time climbing all over the place, which does sound like fun, and I love the sound of their call (at least, filtered through the internet). However there are frogs with a much more appealing look to me (I prefer either orange or green to yellow, for one) and I'm also concerned whether a ranitomeya species is a good choice for a first frog.

So, my questions are:

Are there other species or morphs of ranitomeya that have similar personalities to the frogs fishingguy12345 has?

Do the different morphs of sirensis tend to have similar personalities, or not?

How much more difficult is it to keep ranitomeya than auratus? (I wouldn't be looking for any of the super rare, hard to find or keep ones, anyway, but in terms of the commonly available ranitomeyas in the US)

(This is for a 24x18x24 exo terra, btw - I haven't actually built anything yet as I'm still waiting for a drill bit to install my drain bulkhead - hopefully this week!)

Thanks!

Anna

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
In one of my previous threads, fishingguy12345 suggested that I might be happier with a group of ranitomeya like his sirensis (Rio Pachitea Yellow, if I can spell) than the D. auratus I had initially been thinking about. In his setup they behave fairly boldly and spend a lot of time climbing all over the place, which does sound like fun, and I love the sound of their call (at least, filtered through the internet). However there are frogs with a much more appealing look to me (I prefer either orange or green to yellow, for one) and I'm also concerned whether a ranitomeya species is a good choice for a first frog.

So, my questions are:

Are there other species or morphs of ranitomeya that have similar personalities to the frogs fishingguy12345 has?

Do the different morphs of sirensis tend to have similar personalities, or not?

How much more difficult is it to keep ranitomeya than auratus? (I wouldn't be looking for any of the super rare, hard to find or keep ones, anyway, but in terms of the commonly available ranitomeyas in the US)

(This is for a 24x18x24 exo terra, btw - I haven't actually built anything yet as I'm still waiting for a drill bit to install my drain bulkhead - hopefully this week!)

Thanks!

Anna
Hi Anna,

My opinion: if you have a well designed tank, Ranitomeya aren't much more difficult to keep than D. auratus are, they behave differently than the auratus but not in a way that makes them significantly more difficult.

You'll need to make sure there are NO potential places in the tank that they can get stuck because they WILL explore and try to squeeze in (I had a sirensis get in behind my background while moving the tank and had to tear the whole tank apart to get it out).

My wife calls my sirensis "the little orange frogs" despite that I find them quite yellow. The lighting changes the colour they appear to be quite easily.

There aren't a lot of Ranitomeya that are successful in groups: sirensis, amazonica (usually), fantastica (I think) are the ones that come to my mind (I could be wrong and including some that aren't and might be missing some that are). Amazonica are, in my experience, the MOST shy frogs I own, I almost never see them except at feeding time (and even then I usually just see the leaves moving from the frogs underneath them).

Those are my thoughts. Hope they help :)

·
Super Moderator
2,581 Posts
As always, FG provides some great info here! I agree with his assessment of auratus vs. Ranitomeay. It's great to decide that before hand so that you can build for the species you choose. I have different species and find them to differ quite a bit in their desire to hide and in their ability to live in a group.

My Fantastica are a trio but I rarely see them. Not sure if I would keep them as a group and not sure it would matter, anyway :) They just don't come out a whole lot. I see my vanzolini all the time. I love those little guys. I have had trouble with bullying among those guys, so I wouldn't keep them as a group. Maybe I just had bad luck. I don't see my variabilis very often but I also don't keep them in conditions that would encourage them to come out more often. I have 4 together in the same tank (sisters, I think) and they are just as fat as the day I got them. I think they are a possibility if you want to keep a group. Finally, I got 4 reticulata from Understory Enterprises and they do just fine housed together. I don't see them all that often.

Regarding how often I see my frogs, some of the hiders in my collection, I don't care very much because they breed for me and I have the grow-out tanks in my office. I get to see the babies all the time, so I don't begrudge the parents their hiding :)

Mark

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the input everyone!

What would you say the most important factors would be in designing a tank specifically for ranitomeya? (beyond the basics that all dart frogs need - humidity, ventilation, leaf litter...) Lots of "levels", plenty of hiding spots, plenty for them to climb on...?

Would you expect a different morph of sirensis to have similar personality, like maybe the Orange Panguana, or is that just an unknown without trying it? ;)

A few weeks ago I saw a really gorgeous ranitomeya on here, but I can't remember what it was. Looked a lot like the blue/yellow sirensis but the yellow shaded to orange on the head. I'll see if I can find it again.

I like the look of the frog in Socratic Monologue's profile pic (that is an R. imitator, right?) but I think he said they were pretty shy :( maybe someday, but seems less than ideal for my first/only variety of frog :)

Edit: okay, so the frog I was thinking of actually IS one of fishingguy12345's sirensis:
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/356852-thoughts-tank-design.html#post3100234 clearly I've been baking my brain with too many frogs if I didn't even remember that ;) interesting, most of the photos I've seen of Rio Pachitea are much yellower than that. Just variation, or does diet play a role?

·
Banned
929 Posts
Re coloration there's a satiny quality that doesn't come thru on photos.

That with the hot droplet instantaneous magic of their actions.

Oh my their badass

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kmc,

You made me laugh with that one. I think I'm sold at this point. Time for another round of research to do everything I can right for them, haha.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone!

What would you say the most important factors would be in designing a tank specifically for ranitomeya? (beyond the basics that all dart frogs need - humidity, ventilation, leaf litter...) Lots of "levels", plenty of hiding spots, plenty for them to climb on...?

Would you expect a different morph of sirensis to have similar personality, like maybe the Orange Panguana, or is that just an unknown without trying it? ;)

A few weeks ago I saw a really gorgeous ranitomeya on here, but I can't remember what it was. Looked a lot like the blue/yellow sirensis but the yellow shaded to orange on the head. I'll see if I can find it again.

I like the look of the frog in Socratic Monologue's profile pic (that is an R. imitator, right?) but I think he said they were pretty shy :( maybe someday, but seems less than ideal for my first/only variety of frog :)

Edit: okay, so the frog I was thinking of actually IS one of fishingguy12345's sirensis:

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/356852-thoughts-tank-design.html#post3100234 clearly I've been baking my brain with too many frogs if I didn't even remember that ;) interesting, most of the photos I've seen of Rio Pachitea are much yellower than that. Just variation, or does diet play a role?
R. Imitator are said to be among the most bold Ranitomeya species. (I've never kept any yet), but are not good group frogs.

Here are a number of pictures of my Ranitomeya sirensis "Rio Pachitea yellow", the difference in colors is all from different viewing angles.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
#2 and #3 prolly on a ledge or a ramp :D

Mark
Of course!
#1 was climbing down the stolon of a bromeliad that was suction cupped to the glass.

@dwllama , my advice for Ranitomeya sirensis: climbing places, logs/branches, ledges, etc. for climbing on. LOTS of bromeliads (I have 6 in my tank and could probably use more), lots and lots of leaf litter.

In my experience, they'll be found either on top of the logs/wood/branches, in the bromeliads or under the leaf litter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I struggled with choosing a ranitomeya species to keep. I did not want hiders. I went with imitators varadero. They are not good in groups but have been very bold. One or 2 frogs can be seen most of the time I check on them. They are very active as well calling, checking on tadpoles, feeding tadpoles.... When not breeding they are still out pretty often.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! Do I remember right these are the guys that studiously avoid other plants?

·
Registered
258 Posts
It seems everyone will have a very unique opinion, with individual experience. My Todd Kelley R. Amazonica 'red' are by far the boldest Ranitomeya I've ever kept in a group...actively on the search. Very social and don't seem to be shy whatsoever. The colors are strikingly beautiful, very similar to color schemes you desire. Here's a super late night photo while some were sleeping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts