Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:roll:

I am very confused i just looked at a picture of a mantella expectata and of a mantella betsileo, i am not sure which kind i have, i have two mantellas i bought both at the same time they were the same age from the same tank, one has a greenish-yellow back and bright blue legs, the other looks similar only about half of its back is redish and its legs arent as bright. i always assumed they were mantella expectata because i was told they were blue-legged mantellas. however i just saw a pic of the betsileo and they look so similar that now i dont know what i have. i have been looking to buy some expectata so that hopefully they will start breeding, but maybe mine arent expectata. can someone with more experience give me some advice?? i would appreciate it so much.

thanks

Kacie

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I would suggest you get a pic up of the two, but the first one you described with the blue legs is definitely an expectata. Theother one may be one of the blushing mantellas which I think is another morph of the expectata, but possibly a new species. A pic would be best, but I hoep this helps you

Ed Parker

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I'd have to say that the second sounds like the blushing mantellas. I wouldn't recomend breeding them together (althought you'd probibly need a group to get that going anyways) since they are at least different morphs.

When the blushing mantellas first showed up some people thought they were hybrids of expectata and bestileo.

·
Registered
136 Posts
From the book... the Marc Staniszewki....

The betsileo, it is less chunky and lacks the blue legs...

The description of the book for the expectata in a short therm... he have a v-shape of the dorsum and he can go to a yellow-lemon to brown...

They said that they color change with they mood and they stress...

My viridis, have some color variation... not big... but they are there...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi Kacie,

The patterns of Mantella betsileo and expectata are similar to one another and they both are large, stocky frogs compared to other species, but they can be told apart by their coloration. Have a look at the photographs below and you should be able to see the difference. The frog of yours with blue-legs is expectata. The intensity of the blue seems to vary between frogs, some have beautiful sky blue legs while others seem to have muddy gray legs. The frogs that I've observed with bright blue legs also seem to always have a nice yellow back rather than the greenish yellow like those with dull legs. Whether the variation in colors represents different populations or just different individual frogs I couldn't say. Some have even suggested that the intensity of color in expectata will change depending on the mood of the frog and it's health.

I think the general conclusion on the blushing mantella frogs is that they are a color varient of expectata that has red or pink mixed in with the yellow on their back, sometimes the yellow is tan instead. As Corey mentioned, some people have also suggested that these frogs are hybrids between betsileo and expectata, however I don't think there has ever been any evidence to support this claim.

Below are some pictures to help you with your identification:

An adult expectata of mine with the typical bright blue legs and yellow back

Juvenile expectata look similar to betsileo. The frog below may be a juvenile red-backed expectata, still not sure.

The same expectata four months later, looking a lot like a red-backed expectata.

These are the frogs that were sold as blushing mantellas or red-backed expectata. This photo was taken by Becky Kendell I think, hopefully you don't mind me using it.

and here are links to two photographs of Mantella betsileo:

http://www.livingunderworld.org/gal...ntella/betsileo/mantella_betsileo_ebinuma.jpg
http://www.alinereptiles.com/images/betsileo_brown_mantella.jpg

Notice the shade of brown on the betsileo and compare it to the brown or tan on the red-backed expectata. Good luck,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which mantella is it

:D

thanks so much for all the replys and pictures. i am now positive that it is a blushing or red-backed expectata. it doesnt have any brown or muddy yellow like the betsilio. should i still split it from the other frog and colony if i start one?? and does anyone know where i can get any expectata? i have been searching with no luck so far.

thanks

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Yes, you are looking at two different breeding colonies if you decide to try and keep and breed both. They are at minimum different morphs of a species, the blushings even possibly being its own species (I don't believe they have been looked at in the wild recently and a lot of taxonomic revision is under way). Remember, black-eareds came in as just another morph of golden's and when science looked at them they realized that couldn't be further from the truth.

Realize at this point you are looking at getting imported expectata (which yours were as well), but depending on who you get them from they can do well. I've had luck with mantellas from Reptile Depot (http://www.reptiledepot.com) and they say they currently have expectata and for a good price. Kingsnake.com amphibian classifieds also shows people who are marketing the imported mantellas, but the prices are generally higher ($35-40) than RD's this season. Mantellas are just starting to come in this year, and more imports might come along later this year as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts