Dendroboard banner

which is better? tinctorius vs auratus

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Socratic Monologue 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello! I am looking to start my first dart frog vivarium and I have narrowed it down to two different ones. I really like both the tinctorius and auratus and I was wondering what's your experience with each and which one is better. I'd be housing them in a 4x2x2 enclosure. Thanks!

#2 ·
I personally have no first-hand dart frog experience yet at this point. However, from the knowledge I've absorbed on DB, with 2 x 2 x 4 footprint being LxWxH, I would suggest auratus. They will take advantage of all the useable height within the vivarium. That's not to say tincs will not climb, but they tend to be recommended for a more horizontal footprint.

Best Regards,
Nate

#6 ·
Oh, I'm so sorry. I was talking about a 4x2x2 long terrarium. But also kind of a happy mistake because I never knew dart frogs would be happy in that vertical of a terrarium. I lean a bit more towards the tincs in both looks and personality. When you said that I'd be limited to just a pair, is that because of the size of terrarium or is them being in pairs the only option no matter what size the tank is?

#10 ·
@OP, I'm guessing you're surprised about the recommendations for so few frogs for so much space (from several experienced keepers). Hard to imagine why you'd only put 2 frogs the size of your thumb in a huge tank.

These frogs have much larger territories in the wild, and most of them (like tincs) will treat whatever size tank we provide as their personal property with no trespassers welcome. The few "group" frogs (like auratus or leucomelas) will be more likely to tolerate other frogs in the space, but even then there can be bullying. I don't provide quite the same accommodations as the generous keepers above, but you'd be surprised how much space one of these little guys can use and patrol.

#12 · (Edited)
@OP, I'm guessing you're surprised about the recommendations for so few frogs for so much space (from several experienced keepers). Hard to imagine why you'd only put 2 frogs the size of your thumb in a huge tank.

These frogs have much larger territories in the wild, and most of them (like tincs) will treat whatever size tank we provide as their personal property with no trespassers welcome. The few "group" frogs (like auratus or leucomelas) will be more likely to tolerate other frogs in the space, but even then there can be bullying. I don't provide quite the same accommodations as the generous keepers above, but you'd be surprised how much space one of these little guys can use and patrol.
How many auratus could you do in that size?
And would you be saying that if I had a 55g (48x18x18) that I could do the same pair?
Sorry for all the questions. :)

#15 ·
I'm going to recommend Costa Rican green and black auratus. They can be kept in groups, unlike tincs, and the Costa Ricans are very bold. In that size tank you could easily do four frogs. I might even do 5 or 6 depending on how well you utilize your space. With multiple substrate levels and plenty of branches and large plants for climbing and providing visual barriers, I'd be comfortable housing 4-6 auratus in a tank that size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.