Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I am looking to start my first dart frog vivarium and I have narrowed it down to two different ones. I really like both the tinctorius and auratus and I was wondering what's your experience with each and which one is better. I'd be housing them in a 4x2x2 enclosure. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I personally have no first-hand dart frog experience yet at this point. However, from the knowledge I've absorbed on DB, with 2 x 2 x 4 footprint being LxWxH, I would suggest auratus. They will take advantage of all the useable height within the vivarium. That's not to say tincs will not climb, but they tend to be recommended for a more horizontal footprint.

Best Regards,
Nate

·
Registered
39 Posts
Care doesn't differ that much and they are both hardy beginner species.
From what I've read, some consider auratus a little bit hardier.

I think you just have to pick the species you like the most from a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Personally I find my tincs to be more bold and out more. But for a tank that size you could get a nice group of auratus where with tincs you'd be limited to just a pair once they reach maturity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally I find my tincs to be more bold and out more. But for a tank that size you could get a nice group of auratus where with tincs you'd be limited to just a pair once they reach maturity.
Oh, I'm so sorry. I was talking about a 4x2x2 long terrarium. But also kind of a happy mistake because I never knew dart frogs would be happy in that vertical of a terrarium. I lean a bit more towards the tincs in both looks and personality. When you said that I'd be limited to just a pair, is that because of the size of terrarium or is them being in pairs the only option no matter what size the tank is?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry. I was talking about a 4x2x2 long terrarium. But also kind of a happy mistake because I never knew dart frogs would be happy in that vertical of a terrarium. I lean a bit more towards the tincs in both looks and personality. When you said that I'd be limited to just a pair, is that because of the size of terrarium or is them being in pairs the only option no matter what size the tank is?
Tinctorius are best kept in pairs no mather what the tank size.

I'm confused about the tank dimensions, can you post a photo?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tinctorius are best kept in pairs no mather what the tank size.

I'm confused about the tank dimensions, can you post a photo?
So I do not have the tank yet but it would be 48 inches long, 24 inches tall, and 24 inches wide. This size is subject to change but this seems like the best size. The measurements would equate to close to 120 gallons. The photo below is a picture that I found online but is the same size.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Perfect for a pair. I keep my adult Tinctorius in nearly the same size of tanks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
@OP, I'm guessing you're surprised about the recommendations for so few frogs for so much space (from several experienced keepers). Hard to imagine why you'd only put 2 frogs the size of your thumb in a huge tank.

These frogs have much larger territories in the wild, and most of them (like tincs) will treat whatever size tank we provide as their personal property with no trespassers welcome. The few "group" frogs (like auratus or leucomelas) will be more likely to tolerate other frogs in the space, but even then there can be bullying. I don't provide quite the same accommodations as the generous keepers above, but you'd be surprised how much space one of these little guys can use and patrol.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If it were me with a tank that size I would go with 5 mints.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
@OP, I'm guessing you're surprised about the recommendations for so few frogs for so much space (from several experienced keepers). Hard to imagine why you'd only put 2 frogs the size of your thumb in a huge tank.

These frogs have much larger territories in the wild, and most of them (like tincs) will treat whatever size tank we provide as their personal property with no trespassers welcome. The few "group" frogs (like auratus or leucomelas) will be more likely to tolerate other frogs in the space, but even then there can be bullying. I don't provide quite the same accommodations as the generous keepers above, but you'd be surprised how much space one of these little guys can use and patrol.
How many auratus could you do in that size?
And would you be saying that if I had a 55g (48x18x18) that I could do the same pair?
Sorry for all the questions. :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
And would you be saying that if I had a 55g (48x18x18) that I could do the same pair?
Questions are good. Especially coming from an open mind while just starting the process. Nothing worse than the person who already did everything wrong and is looking for strangers on the internet to pat them on the back and tell them everything will be great. /rant

I haven’t kept auratus, but I have leucs and terribilis. Personally, I’d put a group of 5 of either of those frogs in a 4x2x2 viv. And I’d always keep an eye out for bullying.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If your set on Auratus, I keep Green and Blacks and kept a breeding trio 1.2 in a 18x18x24 without problems. Your tank is just about twice that so I would say 6. Although earlier you said your tank was 48X24X24 then I would say 7 or even 8.

Reactions: JasonE

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm going to recommend Costa Rican green and black auratus. They can be kept in groups, unlike tincs, and the Costa Ricans are very bold. In that size tank you could easily do four frogs. I might even do 5 or 6 depending on how well you utilize your space. With multiple substrate levels and plenty of branches and large plants for climbing and providing visual barriers, I'd be comfortable housing 4-6 auratus in a tank that size.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a group of 5 phyllobates Uraba Bicolors in my 48"x18"21" and I really like them. 2 questions about the tank, are you planning on water proofing the wood in the tank? And have you thought about drilling a bulk head in the bottom for drainage?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a group of 5 phyllobates Uraba Bicolors in my 48"x18"21" and I really like them. 2 questions about the tank, are you planning on water proofing the wood in the tank? And have you thought about drilling a bulk head in the bottom for drainage?
Actually, yes...and yes. I attached a video that was the overall design I was going for.
Easy DIY Plywood Reptile Enclosures - YouTube

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If your set on Auratus, I keep Green and Blacks and kept a breeding trio 1.2 in a 18x18x24 without problems. Your tank is just about twice that so I would say 6. Although earlier you said your tank was 48X24X24 then I would say 7 or even 8.
Thanks! Could you keep multiple varieties of the auratus or does it depend?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What size tank would you recommend for having 2-3 of the tincs?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts