Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several places where people say that it is safe to use the Windows and Doors greatstuff but it seems to me that the one designed for ponds would be better suited for a viv with darts. I would love to hear your opinions on this as the windows and doors is half the price.

Thanks

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also I have seen mentioned that GE 1 and 3 Silicons are safe to use, is one better than the other?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Window and door is yellow. The pond one (I forget the actual name) is black. That's the basic difference. The pond one MAY expand and contract less as it cures.
Hmm, I wonder why there is such a price difference.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Window and door is yellow. The pond one (I forget the actual name) is black. That's the basic difference. The pond one MAY expand and contract less as it cures.
I used pond foam (not GreatStuff) and it actually shrank a little as it cured. I like the fact that it is stiffer and easier to carve though.

-Christian

·
Registered
635 Posts
The pond foam is the best one to use. I use the tetra black pond foam and it barely exapnded. I also use the Great Stuff(red Can). The black foam is better to use because it not toxic. It use for waterfall and pond construction, its harmless to fish. Anyways its going to be cover up. Pond Adhesive & Plumbing Supplies: TetraPond Waterfall Foam Sealant

"Construct a stunning pond waterfall or stream bed masterpiece like the professionals. The TetraPond Waterfall Foam Sealant is an essential part of pond waterfall construction and is the design secret behind waterfalls with personality. Expanding black foam helps keep rockwork in place and fills in gaps for a watertight seal. Moving water travels over rockwork rather than through it to maintain dynamic water flow. Includes foam applicator nozzle for direct and precise application. The TetraPond Waterfall Foam Sealant dries tack-free in about five minutes and can be trimmed with a knife in one hour. Cures in 12 to 24 hours. Safe for fish and plants. 12 ounce can."

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The black is superior but not necessarily because of toxins. Both products have the same basic chemical make-up. The black is more expensive because anything aimed at the pond/Koi keeper has a huge markup. Both expand initially, then slowly contract over a period of time. Some seem to expand more than others (some are even marketed as such) but I've seen drastic expansion differences from can to can of the same product as well.

I prefer the black because if I miss a spot when I am covering it with coco it doesn't catch the eye and need a touch up. Also, when the coco wears off in spots over the years, the black looks very natural unlike the bright yellow.

BTW I second the vote for black Touch'n'foam. I've used a half dozen different ones and I like it the best, especially for the price.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, here is another question:

Where is the best place to buy the black net pots for building into the background?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback, here is another question:

Where is the best place to buy the black net pots for building into the background?
You don't necessarily need to buy the black net pots. I do know black jungle sells them. You can also buy the small biodegradable pots. Overtime, they will degrade, creating a great stuff pot :D

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any kind of pot is fine just need some to help me layout the background I'm making. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'll save you a lot of time. Buy neither! It's a pain in the ass, messy as hell and takes forever. Should look into cork panels, Much easier, faster, and plants like it better.

Silicone, I use GE Silicone II Never had any issues with it. Window & Door Clear
Also use Silicone II Black and Also Brown. Never had any issues with either of them..brown seems to take a while for the smell to go away for me though.

·
Premium Member
2,752 Posts
Silicone, I use GE Silicone II Never had any issues with it. Window & Door Clear
Also use Silicone II Black and Also Brown. Never had any issues with either of them..brown seems to take a while for the smell to go away for me though.
Silicone 2 is less safe for viv inhabitants than silicone 1 due to the mildew inhibitor added to the formula. I wouldn't risk using the former in my viv.

Here is another thread on the subject: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/83985-ge-black-silicone-type-ii.html

·
Registered
691 Posts
I recently started using black Touch'n'foam. Way better than greatstuff in my opinion...
I used touch n foam on a 10g vert and it shrank when it cured about 2mm off the sides. When I removed the background, it came right out... I might have gotten water behind it somehow.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Been using it for two years, and never once had a problem. No SLS, No bad eggs, yada yada yada. But like I said I'm done with the whole GS foam, way to big of a pain in the ass for me. Thanks for the info though JP I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I used touch n foam on a 10g vert and it shrank when it cured about 2mm off the sides. When I removed the background, it came right out... I might have gotten water behind it somehow.
I don't spray the foam directly on the glass. It doesn't form a very good bond. I've had better luck siliconing several thin strips of epiweb to the glass, then spraying the foam. Its very sturdy that way and 'grips' very well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts