Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you have experience keeping several frogs in one enclosure, please list species, enclosure size and secrets to your success here.

i have an 18g tall and i want to put in 3 frogs...but i don't want anyone to drown or fight, if i can avoid it.

cheers,
...j

G

·
0 Posts
just an FYI, you are going to get a whole lot of different responses on this subject. Most people say that you should keep species separate for various reasons while other people say that certian species can be mixed. if you check over at http://saurian.net/ there is an article explaining the pros and cons of mixed speices tanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I personally dont get all stressed out by people wanting to mix species... but...

in a 18g tank and you are only wanting 3 frogs. PDF's like to at least have play-mates of their own kind, so you are better off going with 3 of the same species. Stress is your main concern.

Now... if you had a 55g or larger, you could easily put in 2 or more species with a couple of each type and they will be able to territory themselves and have a "fun ole' time" with LESS stress (still stressful though).

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
With that small of an enclosure, you're asking for problems when you mix species. With tincs and azureus, if you happen to get more than one female they will fight. Go with leucs, they're great in groups, very colorful, and generally bold.

G

·
0 Posts
To my knowledge good group frogs:

D. Leucomelas
D. Galactonous
E. Silverstonei
D. auratus (with lots of hiding space)
many Phyllobates seem ok in groups.

Definately dont
Tinc females fight
Pumilio females fight
Azureus fight

However with alot of room anything is possible. If you have 100 gal id say you could easily put together 3 pairs even tincs.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Now that I re-read this topic... Ryan is right... he never mentioned keeping different species... oh well :shock:

·
Registered
850 Posts
Any dart frogs can be kept in groups as juveniles. They won't fight until they are adults. I have a group of 5 yellowback tinctorius in a that do great together as juveniles, but when they are fully matured I plan on sexing up pairs and putting them in ten or twenty gallon breeder tanks. As a general rule any epipedobates or phyllobates do good in groups. Keep in mind, almost all dart frogs fight. So just because you see two fighting doesn't mean its bad. Also, males and females both fight. All you hear about is females fighting but I have never had females fight, but I've had several occasions where males fight. Some species just handle fighting in different ways. Tincs and azureus get stressed out and will eventually die, my vitattus for example, when they fight they start calling and seem to get into breeding mode. I still recommend terribilis as probably the perfect starter frogs, but luecs and G&B auratus are up there too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't want to keep different species. i simply want to find a single species that is tolerant of others...so that i can put 3 in the tank without stressing the frogs.

thanks for your responses!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
jharless said:
i don't want to keep different species. i simply want to find a single species that is tolerant of others...so that i can put 3 in the tank without stressing the frogs.

thanks for your responses!
That's what I figured, but my answer is the same: get leucs. They are good looking, do well in groups, and are often not shy at all.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I believe that terribilis are a great frog to keep in groups. I have 6 in a 58 and they are all doing great. If the enclose is large enough you can keep most frogs in groups but I would say a 30 gallon tank would be good for about 4 frogs and they would be fine. This is just my .02 though.

TonyT

G

·
0 Posts
I have some bicolors, vittatus, and CR green and black auratus.I have the 3 bicolors in a 29g, the 3 vittatus in a 10,for now,and 4 Cr auratus in a 20.I have a 1.2.1 in there and have watched the female wrestleMy original female will fight with the other female.Well, not really fight but she will grab the other one behind the front legs and wrestle it.When she is done the other one stays in her place for about 5 minutes all hunched over then goes back to feeding or whatever.There is no harm done but it is my way to sex the auratus I have now so I can sell pairs very soon.I have about 22 frogs to go threw to get this done. But they are very good in groups also until they are wanting to breed then they start to scrap.I can go on forever about them.I have had alot of fun with them.They are really great frogs.Ok I will stop here.
Mark W.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts