Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am really getting interested in getting a Poison Dart Frog. However, I don't want to go buy a whole new tank. I have an extra 15 gallon terrarium (24"lengthx12"widthx12"hight) that I want to use for Darts. I was wondering if there are any species that would allow me to have several of them in the tank.

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, for the double post, but it won't let me edit.

I really want some thumbnails, but I don't know which ones are good for beginners or where to buy them as I can't find any sites that sell them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you tip that up on end, and make a vertical front for it, you could put a couple thumbnails in there. I've seen several of the sponsors with thumbs for sale. Here's a link to the sponsor page:

Sponsor Classifieds - Dendroboard

Also look at the general classifieds. :D
Huge noob question, but is there a thread or somewhere on making a vertical front? I have no idea how to go about that.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are! Look through the construction threads. Also, several of the vendors sell them pre-made. Off the top of my head:

New England Herpetoculture - Home
Jungle Box Online - Frogs, Vivarium Supplies, Feeders and Tropical Plants

There might be others. If they don't routinely make the size you need, I bet you could talk to them about the dimensions you need and they can custom make it.
Ooooooooo. The Jungle Box makes then exact right one!
So how many thumbnails could I fit in it do you think?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Oh, I don't know. 2 or 3? Check out the care sheets and also this section: Ranitomeya - Dendroboard

Some say that imitators are monogamous. Others keep in groups of 3 or so. Vents are said to be able to be kept in groups. Just do a lot of looking around on the threads. I think you should get as much info as you can, and, then decide for yourself how you want to do it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I don't know. 2 or 3? Check out the care sheets and also this section: Ranitomeya - Dendroboard

Some say that imitators are monogamous. Others keep in groups of 3 or so. Vents are said to be able to be kept in groups. Just do a lot of looking around on the threads. I think you should get as much info as you can, and, then decide for yourself how you want to do it.
Sweet. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome to the board! Glad to see your asking questions and looking for information! Post some pics if you get a chance so we can see your tank in progress! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the help, but the more I've been thinking about it the more I think I want to get a non-thumbnail frog.
Do you guys think that if I got D. Azureus or D. Tinctorius I should put the tank vertically, or have it horizontally? Also, could I get away with three of them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
horizontally. tinctorius are terrestrial darts

d. azureus is an old name thats no longer considered valid. they are now considered d. tinctorius 'azureus'

3 would e rough in a tank that size. tincs are pretty territorial, females especially. i'd stick with a pair.

james

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are there any arboreal PDFs for novice keepers? Having a smaller footprint would be easier for me to fit into my house.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
well, there is the D. leucomelas. semi-terrestrial. Does hang around on the ground alot but they also climb on the walls of the tank. Great frog for novice keepers. also, the male has a pleasent call. Good luck

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Are there any arboreal PDFs for novice keepers? Having a smaller footprint would be easier for me to fit into my house.
well, there is the D. leucomelas. semi-terrestrial. Does hang around on the ground alot but they also climb on the walls of the tank. Great frog for novice keepers. also, the male has a pleasent call. Good luck
not a good choice for a 15 vert. the footprint is too small.

james

1 - 17 of 17 Posts