Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here recently ive been feeding my auratus with fruit flies and i am planning on buying something to very their diet. Im trying to decide between flour beetle larvae and springtails. Ive read good things about both and im not sure which to choose. I want something thats easy and has a high output without alot of smell (like the fruitflies). I was hoping that someone that has kept frogs for a while would know.

ive read that 10 fruitflies per frog in a small enclosure would be enough, but one of my pairs of frogs (not sure of the sex and they are in 10gal tank) seem to be eating atleast 15 each and keep eating when i add more. Am i feeding to much or not enough?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have raised springtails and attempted to raise flour beetles (bad cultures provided by the vendor). In my experience, they are both easy. Springtails are slightly higher maintenance, but not much. They reproduce way faster than flour beetles, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bpmsac said:
here recently ive been feeding my auratus with fruit flies and i am planning on buying something to very their diet. Im trying to decide between flour beetle larvae and springtails. Ive read good things about both and im not sure which to choose. I want something thats easy and has a high output without alot of smell (like the fruitflies). I was hoping that someone that has kept frogs for a while would know.

ive read that 10 fruitflies per frog in a small enclosure would be enough, but one of my pairs of frogs (not sure of the sex and they are in 10gal tank) seem to be eating atleast 15 each and keep eating when i add more. Am i feeding to much or not enough?
Springtail cultures can stink BAD. It helps if you feed them yeast, but they still stink worse than fruitflies (which I don't think smell bad) Nice thing about them is the produce like crasy.

Riceflour Beetles are more difficult to get good numbers. It is a longer process to remove the larva from the flour, but I know some people have good luck with them. I have tried them twice and finally said forget it.
Good thing is they only smell like the media.

To feed frogs I dump in around 15 flies per frog to start. If all the flies are gone by the next day them I add more. I try to get to the point were their are only a few fruit flies in the tank at the next feeding. Also watch the frog. I try and make them hunt for their food. I want them to be active.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I would go with springtails. They produce a lot more and are easier to feed. I also think they are better since they are benificial in terrariums and are needed when raising froglets. If you feed them yeast they don't smell bad, and since the containers are closed they don't smell until you open them... unlike ff's which smell all the time.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I like springtails alot better...sort of taste like chicken :lol:
but really, they seem much more convenient, hold up to moisture well, and will establish themselves in the tank.
Flour beetles don't hold up to moisture, or even high humidity for very long, and I have better things to do that pick tiny worms with tweezers!
I do use both though, I like to give as much variety as I can.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Do you do this with your thumbs too? I know I am over feeding mine, and need to back off.

Bgreen said:
To feed frogs I dump in around 15 flies per frog to start. If all the flies are gone by the next day them I add more. I try to get to the point were their are only a few fruit flies in the tank at the next feeding. Also watch the frog. I try and make them hunt for their food. I want them to be active.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts