Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I´ve tried to use the search function for this, but I couldn´t find what I was looking for.

I have finally gotten around to start my own paludarium build, and I think I should get a fogger to up the aesthetic value of the build. I will of course buy a MistKing system to manage the humidity, but the fogger does make for good eye-candy when being used.

So what fogger should I buy? At work we sell both the ExoTerra Fogger and another from ZooMed, and I think I can order some other from a different source as well. I´ve tried searching the web to find out what fogger is the best, but with no luck.

Hope you guys and girls with your personal experience can help me figure this out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Both work on the same principle. Get the one you get the best price for.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price isn´t really a factor..

I have read some reviews that the ExoTerra one don´t work properly with too much water.. I don´t want to re-fill the canister every day. And I don´t really like the ZooMed brand.

It´s going to be external, with tubes leading the fog up and into the tank and through the waterfall section inside the paludarium..

I just want to buy something that I won´t send back anytime soon.

What type of fogger do you guys recommend, and what should I stay clear of?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
The zoo med fogger is garbage. The fan will.crap out on you eventually.

I don't use froggers anymore, San Antonio is humid enough, but I used small home humidifiers in the past. I found some cheep at harbor freight. They were OEM brown box models.

There are some good threads here on converting these kinds of humidifiers.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I use a home humidifier, connected to vivs through pipes. As Doug said there are many threads about it. But, as you already know, it does not replace a rainsystem (or fogsystem) as Mistking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Doug. San Antonio is one thing, but Norway is far from a humid place, especially during the winter.

I´ve thought about converting a home humidifier before. Does not seem like much of a challenge. Maybe I should re-consider that approach.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
So is the fogger for you or the frogs? (not trying to be a smart ass, just asking)
Honestly I really don`t know anyone that even uses them anymore. If you have front opening doors get yourself a nice hand pump sprayer, give it a few pumps and spray away.
By the way, I`ve been to Norway twice, there are no words to describe the beauty there.

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is the fogger for you or the frogs? (not trying to be a smart ass, just asking)
Honestly I really don`t know anyone that even uses them anymore. If you have front opening doors get yourself a nice hand pump sprayer, give it a few pumps and spray away.
By the way, I`ve been to Norway twice, there are no words to describe the beauty there.

John
Norway is indeed beautiful, in all its seasons!
Its a shame about the laws concerning reptiles and amphibians though :( Its illegal to own any reptile or amphibian here :mad: its really ridiculus, as the law is old and mostly based on old and wrong information.

anyway;
The fogger is for the frogs, but only for the apperance and beauty it gives to the tank. I will be using a misting system from Mist King to water the plants and keep the humidity high enough. So the fogger is just for show, but would still want a good one that doesn´t fail on me :) Handmisting would be a choise but I don´t have front opening doors, and I would like the system to be fully automatic so I can just sit back and enjoy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So since I have been reconsidering converting a home humidifier I checked around ebay for something I think would work and found this little thing:

Personal Mini Air Humidifier Ultrasonic Steam Pocket | eBay

Looks like its going to be really easy siliconing the tube(s) that lead into the terrarium to this one. Also I love the fact that I can choose the size of the water-bottle thats connected and that the whole thing is so darn small.

Gonna place an order next week :)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
A lot of those small humidifiers out put pathetic amounts of water. Just something to consider. Its not really a problem as you can run them longer to get the effect (That is unless you had a longer vertical run for the pipe). In fact it might be better. But a lot of people like the dramatic rush of fog a larger home humidifier has, and since you said it was for effects this may matter.

Humidifiers are a hard thing to find, ideally you want the reservoir separate from the output. This way you can attach a pipe or tubing and not need to take it off every time you add more water.

Also I second what others said the zoomed humidifier is garbage. Cant believe they charge that much for it given the high failure rates and low warranty period. I believe it is nothing more than these cheapo $20 Units with a plastic bottle and tube thrown in the box.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A lot of those small humidifiers out put pathetic amounts of water. Just something to consider. Its not really a problem as you can run them longer to get the effect (That is unless you had a longer vertical run for the pipe). In fact it might be better. But a lot of people like the dramatic rush of fog a larger home humidifier has, and since you said it was for effects this may matter.

Humidifiers are a hard thing to find, ideally you want the reservoir separate from the output. This way you can attach a pipe or tubing and not need to take it off every time you add more water.

Also I second what others said the zoomed humidifier is garbage. Cant believe they charge that much for it given the high failure rates and low warranty period. I believe it is nothing more than these cheapo $20 Units with a plastic bottle and tube thrown in the box.
Thanks for the feedback PubFiction! I´ve been thinking about the reservoir needing to be separate from the output. This also makes it harder when it comes to building the setup for the ExoTerra one so I´ll stay clear of that one. And now I´m more than sure I wont buy the ZooMed one (and got good reasons not to recommend it to customers).

When it comes to the amount of mist/fog being generated I only have a 35gal (128L) tank, so I believe that if it generates less over a longer period is actually better than alot in short burst.
That way it will look more like the plesant morning mist on a lake, than a thunderstorm descending from the heavens. But ofcourse I could be wrong, but then I´ll just upgrade to something bigger.

Pubfiction said:
(...)That is unless you had a longer vertical run for the pipe(...)
I´m sorry, but I didn´t really get this.. Would you care to explain?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
If the vertical run of the pipe is long enough and the mist is low enough well the mist might not even make it up the pipe all the way before condensing and falling back down. I don't really have a sense for how much this would affect it so you would just have to experiment with it, or just buy one of the over powering foggers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts