Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi i'm new to Dendroboard so please tell me if I do anything wrong. I have a 29 gallon vivarium and was thinking of getting some dart frogs, but there is just so many dart frogs to choose from! I want something that is easy to care for, relatively inexpensive you can keep in groups of at lest 3 in a 29 gallon if there is lots of plants and hiding spaces, bold so I can see it often, and pretty. That's pretty much all you could want in a dart frog though so feel free to suggest something that just meets some of those criteria馃槄. Thank you!馃槂

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome.

We do not encourage people to mix dart frogs with mourning geckos on this forum. Despite what some retailers may say they DON'T habituate well together.

Registered
Dendrabatus tinctorius azures are great beginner frogs. Although you probably should only put 2 in a 29 because they are quite large. I would do your research on what you would like and what works for you. Oh, and generally people don't put other animals with dart frogs except for springtails and such.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dendrabatus tinctorius azures are great beginner frogs. Although you probably should only put 2 in a 29 because they are quite large. I would do your research on what you would like and what works for you. Oh, and generally people don't put other animals with dart frogs except for springtails and such.
oooh those are pretty thank you

Registered
Leucomelas are great, for beginners and experienced keepers alike. I love my group.

Registered
Hi and welcome! Leucs are a great beginner frog and very available. I am also new in the hobby and it is very difficult to decide on a frog as they are all very beautiful.

If you can decide on one it will help a lot when you decide to build your enclosure as you will have their needs in mind.

Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi and welcome! Leucs are a great beginner frog and very available. I am also new in the hobby and it is very difficult to decide on a frog as they are all very beautiful.

If you can decide on one it will help a lot when you decide to build your enclosure as you will have their needs in mind.

Good luck!
Leucomelas are great, for beginners and experienced keepers alike. I love my group.
Leucs are wonderful frogs to keep. I find them to be a bit more active then tincs.
Thank you all! I think I might go with some fine spot leucs but am also considering 'Costa rica green and black' auratus dart frogs has anybody kept them both if so witch one did you enjoy more?

Registered
I have both Auratus and Leucomelas (in separate tanks) and the Leucomelas are way more active and fun to watch. Auratus are very shy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Leucs are a great choice! Their call can be a bit loud, it's a nice trill, almost bird like. D. auratus are definitely more shy, but their call is much quieter, almost like a cellphone on vibrate. Just a consideration depending on your housing situation!

Registered
Welcome! I'm not sure I can recommend putting more than 2 frogs in a 29 gallon, but leucs and auratus are great choices. My top frog recommendation for new keepers is always auratus. We have a lot of locales in the hobby, so plenty of colors and patterns to choose from. They also do great in groups. Leucs are the same way, but obviously only come in one color and a few different patterns (yes yes, blue and green foot exist. Don't get technical with me)

Registered
Yeah, for whatever reason I read 29 as 55 lol. I definitely would suggest 3 at the most, that way, they have enough space to get away from one another. My bad! Let us know what you decide!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, for whatever reason I read 29 as 55 lol. I definitely would suggest 3 at the most, that way, they have enough space to get away from one another. My bad! Let us know what you decide!
Welcome! I'm not sure I can recommend putting more than 2 frogs in a 29 gallon, but leucs and auratus are great choices. My top frog recommendation for new keepers is always auratus. We have a lot of locales in the hobby, so plenty of colors and patterns to choose from. They also do great in groups. Leucs are the same way, but obviously only come in one color and a few different patterns (yes yes, blue and green foot exist. Don't get technical with me)
Awesome I'm thinking i'll probably get a trio of two males and a female fine spot leucs and provide lots of live plants and other cover. Thank you!

Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
My leucomelas are very bold. However, it took a bit for them to become comfortable with the viv and our foot traffic and noisy dogs barking/kids being kids, fighting, bickering, laughing and playing.
I got them on April 29th. After a few weeks they became accustomed to their new home and the hustle and bustle and our day to day moving about. They will became more visible for longer periods. The past few weeks they are visible all of the time. I think the leucs should be named the clown frog as they are so fun and funny to watch.

Whichever frogs you decide do a lot of research and learn all you can to help you be a successful frog parent. And of course the experienced members on this board are always here to help with any questions or concerns you may have.
The members here helped me a lot before and after I got my frogs. I'm still learning.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts