Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!!

So I’m working on building my tank still but it was recommended I get the hang of my fruit fly cultures before l get the frogs because it seems it can maybe be tricky.

I will have isopods and springtails in my rank too. When should I get those? I assumed to order/buy those once I have the tank planted.

It seems there’s many ways to do all this so… what is the easiest way or best way for someone new to frogs? 😁

I would prefer Flightless***

·
Super Moderator
2,978 Posts
I would get the Isopods and springtails going now, you can culture them outside your tank, this way you can get the cultures to grow in size before adding them to the tank.

For the flies, I usually recommend people start culturing the fruit flies for 3-4 weeks before they expect to get the frogs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Like fishingguy12345 said, 3-4 weeks should
be enough time for flies prior to frog arrival. I have found the trickiness to lie, not in keeping the flies alive or creating new cultures, but timing it so that you do not have too many or too few at any given time.

I was initially tempted to make more cultures than my few frogs required. This wasn’t the brightest idea, since too many flies for the frogs you have only increases the chance that they spoil before you can use them, or that you have to dispose of perfectly good flies to prevent them from spoiling.

The opposite end of the spectrum is worrying about whether or not your newest culture will start producing in time and hoping there is no gap in flies you can feed your frogs.

Take notes - record when the cultures are made, how long the flies take to complete their metamorphosis, and then time it so cultures are being made at a rate that maximizes their usefulness while limiting excess. This will save flies, save materials and save stress. The time it takes for a culture to start producing is affected by the environment you are keeping them in.

I think a journal for recording these observations, as well as other interesting notes, is a handy tool!

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts