Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife and I are going to honolulu hawaii in the next week. was wondering. if anyone has a place to go see with frogs. place to buy supplies, huts, frogs,etc.
we will be staying Kapolei, HI 96707
Thank you

·
Administrator
8,812 Posts
Why would you buy supplies in Hawaii?

Just buy them now and have them shipped to your home - or wait till you get back.

You cannot carry native frogs of Hawaii (or non-native as the case may be) back to the States.

You may want to utilize the search function and plug in Hawaii - it will likely give you the locales of Hawaiian Auratas.

s

·
Administrator
8,812 Posts
You can get coconut huts anywhere that sells herp supplies.

You won't find them in Hawaii though (I might be wrong about that). The insinuation seems to be that Hawaii is the land of coconuts. :D

I'd say it's more the land of pineapple. :cool:

s

·
Registered
448 Posts
Call the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Forestry and Wildlife
Number should still be: (808) 587-011 (number after 5) < trying to avoid spam for them...

Ask them if they will fax you an "Application for Injurious Wildlife Export or Intrastate Transport Permit". They will send one to you. Fill this out with a listed maximum number of 4 of the Gold Dust Day Gecko (Big Island), Jackson's Chameleon (Big Island) or Dendrobates auratas (Oahu). You then send this back and they will evaluate it, and send you a permit. You will have to bring them back by hand as I think shipping via mail is still a no-no, though they may have changed this.

Thing to keep in mind is that if you are on one island and have a connecting flight on another island they won't like this. So don't do that. Idea here is to help remove some of the population not transfer it to another island.

As for finding and catching them, that's on you. A simple ad on craigslist should help you locate someone with them in their backyard willing to part with a few.

When you go to the airport, you must have the permit, no soil or plants in a clear container. Use a wet paper towel for "substrate" so they can see everything and don't need to x-ray them.

Should be all you need. Just don't be surprised if it takes a while for them to get you the permit. It typically takes me about a month.

Good luck and have fun out there!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
They're native now - it's why I called them Hawaiian Auratas elsewhere. ;)

s
Wait what? That doesn't make sense, they were introduced, they can't become native through those means. They are however, naturalized, as they don't harm the native ecosystems there.

Protecting them is ridiculous IMHO. They should be protecting the few natives they have left instead of the governments leftover experiment.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
So a once introduced non native species has now evolved into a separate distinct morph. That I understand. I don't get why Hawaii would protect a non native species though.

And somehow I have this image of someone walking up to the Hawaiian auratus and saying in a German accent "Let me see your papers"

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The frogs have been on the island for over 30 years and they are now considered a distinct aura tues morph, that is the reason.
Yes I realize they have evolved to be different (slightly) but that still means naturalized. It's like Dingo's in Australia, they replaced the Thylacine as the top predator and are now naturalized. They however, should be protected because removing them would harm the ecosystems there more by removing the only large terrestrial predator. The auratus on the other hand could be removed or could stay with no ill affect.

So again, I still don't get the point of protecting them. Especially when they have other problems to deal with.

Sorry to get so far off topic. Rant over :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not sure where you guys are getting your information but I just got off the phone with the head guy in charge of this and the Green and Black auratas is still on the "injurious wildlife list" and can be exported with a permit.

It's just that there is a limit of the number that can be brought back that are for personal usage.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Julio, the Hawaii department of land and natural resources still says its ok to take four back after getting a permit.. I just checked the site and it's still there.
My advice would be to apply for the permit as soon as you land. When I went it took almost a week to get my permit which only left me a couple days to go find the animals. They will not let you apply for the permit unless you are actually there.

Chris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts