Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've contacted both Jungle Box and AAAfrogs and havent had a response from either. Are there any other sources for these. I know Aaron is having a tough time right now but I need them in a time sensative manner.

Thx

·
Banned
503 Posts
I thought he was having some problems and couldn't ship for a loooong time, pretty sure his wife is hospitalized or something like that. horrid.
Yes that did happen, but that's no longer the problem. After that he lost a deal with his hinge supplier so he cannot make any more kits or lids for a while.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Dane's not doing them anymore? I'm need a couple of tens but need like 4 20's as well... Oh well. Guess I'll just have to wait on Aaron or Dane to get back in the swing...

Have you ever posted a thread about how to build your own with materials from HD or Lowes? Along with what other materials you need and where to get those as well??

Thx

·
Banned
503 Posts
So Dane's not doing them anymore? I'm need a couple of tens but need like 4 20's as well... Oh well. Guess I'll just have to wait on Aaron or Dane to get back in the swing...

Have you ever posted a thread about how to build your own with materials from HD or Lowes? Along with what other materials you need and where to get those as well??

Thx
I've posted a thread of my tank with a home made one, but i'm redoing the hinge. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/70246-20-long-vertical-tank.html You need 2 slabs of glass from ace. They have the cheapest glass ever! I got 2 chunks from them and they cut it well for 5$. Then go onto usplastics.com and they have lots of stuff. I bought a 12" Clear acrylic piano hinge and a acrylic hatch. Then just use epoxy to bond them to the glass./ Cost me about 12$ total. If you need a vent (if you're keeping darts you don't) Pumilo has a great thread on builing one. Search it up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When it comes to making your own its quite easy, and as long as your making enough, it saves money as well. I cannot speak for the 10 gallon verts as i havnt built one in a while but 20H tanks I just built 6, so heres some info.

For the glass: around here lowes and ace cut it, so that was my options. I found ace to be a little better and def more accurate with the cuts. The sizes i used were 6"x11 3/8" for the bottom and 15" by 11 3/8" for the top.

For the hinge, go to any local aquarium or reef store and they can order it. Mine was able to order 6 foot sections, perfect for exactly 6 tanks. To cut it I used kitchen scissors and some metal snippers.

For the screen go to either lowes or home depot for the parts. Here I prefer lowes as the connectors they sell are much "blacker" and gives a nicer look once the screen is finished an painted. Building is quite easy. The long pieces of frame are 10" +/- and the small pieces are slightly bigger than 3/8". With these dimensions you get a screen roughly 1/4" big. Enough ventilation, and keep the humidity nice and high. To finish them off as well like mentioned I paint them with a matte black acrylic paint to make them nice an uniform.

These are the sizes I used and am quite happy with the outcome. Allows for a large front viewing area and a nice uniform look. Also again, these are for a 20H vert tank. But making them for another size is the same process. Just remember, measure ten times and cut once.

Vinny

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sent AZ an email... Has anyone used his kits before?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vinner... do you have any pics of the finished tank? And the hinge you used. Also, what did you use for a top latch. Lastly, is it necessary to have the screen at the top? I imagine that will keep the glass from fogging but all of my horizontal tanks have sealed glass tops... humidity concerns?

·
Registered
275 Posts
The latches can be found in the same aisle as the screen connectors. Then just bought some small self tapping screws.

As far as the screen, I do it purely for the some ventilation, and ive never had humidity issues.

the hinge is I believe is called a living hinge, like the ones on us plastics website. I just told my reef shop that I needed the plastic hinge for glass tops and he knew exactly what I was talking about. I have some pics of my tanks in this thread:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/70869-frog-wall.html

If you want close ups I can snap some tomorrow.

Vinny

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Close ups would be cool! Especially of the top screen section. I'm trying to picture how you made it and also how you attach the piano hinge to the glass... as I cant recall ever using a piano hings I'm having trouble picturing it!

Anyhow, thanks for all the help so far!! Btw... Dane did email me just a little bit ago and I may still end up getting them from him. Mostly as a time saver and his seem to get good reviews. Not so much putting it together but running to lowes, having them cut, ordering hinges etc... But sounds like a fun project and I'm very much interested in more details!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts