Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Viv all put together and I'm ready to plant it. Are there any good sources of plants in Southern California that I can go look at? My back wall is pretty much done, but I need some plants for the floor of the tank.

I just got a bunch of plants from Bonnie (she's awesome by the way) and I know about Andy's Orchids. He's tough to see because he isn't open on weekends, and I want plants NOW!!! :D

I was hoping to find a couple of places that I could drive to this weekend, anyone know of some good spots?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Kartuz in Vista, CA Kartuz Greenhouses: Rare and Exotic Plants has a nice selection of small begonias and gesneriads. A lot of things were in bloom a couple weeks ago. It was very pretty.

Open Wednesday thru Saturday, but call before going if you have a long drive. Sometimes he goes out of town.

Edit: you beat me to it. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Honestly I don't know what I want. I'm not super familiar with vivarium plants, that's kind of why I want to be able to drive somewhere and look at them. I was hoping it would give me a better idea of what would look good. I know I would like to get a couple of Jewel Orchids, but beyond that I'm clueless.

what kind of plants are you looking for?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm fairly close to Vista. Unfortunately I have to work this Saturday. :mad: Sunday might be my only day to go look.. I HATE waiting!!!!

Kartuz in Vista, CA Kartuz Greenhouses: Rare and Exotic Plants has a nice selection of small begonias and gesneriads. A lot of things were in bloom a couple weeks ago. It was very pretty.

Open Wednesday thru Saturday, but call before going if you have a long drive. Sometimes he goes out of town.

Edit: you beat me to it. :)

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Nothing wrong... The just don't have the amazing variety they used to. What they do have available is really really nice

·
Registered
454 Posts
it really depends on what you want and how much you wish to spend as well...

Home Depot carries plenty of appropriate plants for rather cheap (<$5)

Andy's has tons of great orchids, but they are PRICY ($20-30 each on avg)

Rain Forest Flora is located in Hawthorne and has a huge airplant (tillandsia) nursery; I have not personally visited them, but it is on my list of places to go
http://www.rainforestflora.com/

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have enough Epiphytes, I really need some terrestrial stuff. Some nice ferns, Pilea, Jewel Orchids etc... I don't mind spending $20-$30 as long as it's a nice sized, unusual and healthy plant. Andy got me for a couple hundred dollars at the last Reptile show, but the plants are amazing!

it really depends on what you want and how much you wish to spend as well...

Home Depot carries plenty of appropriate plants for rather cheap (<$5)

Andy's has tons of great orchids, but they are PRICY ($20-30 each on avg)

Rain Forest Flora is located in Hawthorne and has a huge airplant (tillandsia) nursery; I have not personally visited them, but it is on my list of places to go
RFI Tillandsia Home

1 - 11 of 11 Posts