Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting some PDF's around the end of January. Hopefully there will be some at my local Repticon, it'd be a whole lot easier on them than having them shipped. I was thinking it would probably be a good idea to start culturing some food now. is that a good idea?

I figured I would try to culture isopods, springtails, bean beetles, and termites. Do you guys have suggestions on where to get my cultures from? Is it OK to ship them this time of year? it is a bit cold here in Atlanta. Oh, and I haven't seen anywhere that actually sells bean beetles.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Very good idea to go ahead and get started on your bugs :D

Check the sponsor section and the for sale section. Lots of folks selling them. Bean Beetles can be hard to find because it's illegal to ship them across state lines. Maybe you can find someone in GA who has them.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I completely agree with what frogface said.
Not that I'm any kind of expert but I'd strongly recommend adding fruit flies to that list as your staple food. I was lucky and had no problem with culturing FF's at first but when I moved recently all my cultures started crashing due to the change in temperature / humidity. I really had to change up my methods and a month later I'm still experimenting with it, trying to get my cultures just right. It was no fun having all the food die off so it's a great idea to get the hang of it ahead of time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can buy FF's locally if I need them. I plan on starting them if I have no luck with the other stuff. I know I'll probably end up using them, though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Locally you can get fruit flies and springs from fieldnstream. Field is in north atlanta. I have gotten plenty from him when I have been lazy and do not plan my orders ahead of time to make cultures. You don't have to pay for shipping either....You can pm him and he will respond right away.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was actually going to get some from him Friday, but the drive was too long and I had lots of shopping left to do. I ended up ordering FF's, Iso's, and Springtails from Southeastern. Well, just one ff culture and ten cups to try out my own media. I really wanted termites too (they sound fun to culture), but I couldn't justify 20 extra bucks for them. I'll make some termite traps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts