Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both Beetle and I have not been able to find weldbond. I've been to Home Depot and Sears Hardware with no luck. Where are people in the North East US getting it from?
j

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott,
Who would have known the only place I didn't check (nor knew existed in town)... and it's only 1/2 a mile away and carries it in stock...
Thanks again.
j

·
Registered
80 Posts
re

Hey thanks guys ive been searching too. Now I can make these tanks ive been planning. Ive got a ton of 3/8 acrylic ready to go.

thanks , Damon

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
What do you use it for? You guys are making your own acrylic tanks? Sounds cool...Yeager I would be interested in seeing how it turns out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the True Value order it for me in the gallon size. Today is background day if after my last advisement meeting.
j

·
Registered
327 Posts
dmartin72 said:
What do you use it for? You guys are making your own acrylic tanks? Sounds cool...Yeager I would be interested in seeing how it turns out.
Weldbond is not good for bonding acrylic together. It isn't even listed on their website as a material it will bond. Use Weld-on for bonding acrylic.

Paul

·
Administrator
8,763 Posts
Not what they're using it for Paul.

They're adding coco fiber, and or peat, to the Weldbond to make backgrounds *in* acrylic tanks.

s :?
FCA said:
... Weldbond is not good for bonding acrylic together. It isn't even listed on their website as a material it will bond. Use Weld-on for bonding acrylic.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That's what I figured, but David asked if they were making tanks with it. I just wanted to clarify that weldbond is not a good product if you are trying to bond acrylic together. :)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Thanks guys! So the Weldbond is used to adhere coco/peat to the acrylic? Is that right onto the acrylic or is something used as a primer (silicone)?

One other question...does great stuff need to be sealed with only silicone? I sealed coco to it with Elmer's Pro-Bond. I read that great stuff will break down and release dangerous chemicals when in contact with water unless it is sealed with silicone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts