Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have like a million and seven little gnat/fruit fly thingies flying around my room, and I haven't bought or cultured a single one yet!!!!! :? My mom is getting pretty irritated with them, and I have no clue where they are coming from! They started showing up when my viv got closer to being done, and I added some sphangium moss and some moss I bought at the West Coast Reptile show from.....someone...lol. I'm assuming they are coming from the sphangium, because when I took the bag out of my room the number of lil bugs decreased, but I have large amounts of the sphangium moss in my frog viv and my firebellied toad viv, and I was wondering.....is there anyway to harvest these guys and use them as a free food source? Is that safe?

·
Super Moderator
3,628 Posts
I've noticed some small gnat sized flies that seem to congregate in my larger viv. I'm sure they aren't harmful, but I suspect trying to deliberatelely culture them could be pretty difficult. Your best bet is probably just try to keep them in the viv, and they'll do their own thing and provide a snack for the occupants every now and then.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had this problem last year, before I had a vivarium. These little gnats were coming out of our houseplants. I have a reef tank so poison, oh how I wanted to poison them, was not an option. They were, well hell. they were flying everywhere all the time, landing on your face, food, whatever. Unfortunately I don't have good news. The only way I got them under control was to cover the potters for the plants in a screen mesh small enough for them not to escape. I also put some fly paper on top of the screen so they would get stuck. It took months before they died off completely. I would say they have to have food, which is probably not available inside the vivarium, but if they find it and find their way back to lay eggs in your substrate, your gonna have flies.
I would say your best chance, if they are in the tank, is to seal everything off so these flies can't get in/out. it may take a while but it probably will slowly subside.
HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts