Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a new frog owner. We had a gray tree frog in our backyard for all of June and July. I loved the sound at night so ... I decided on adding two more pets to the house. I set up a 12x12x18 vivarium and purchased a male and female gray tree frog. They are eating good and moving about so I think I’m doing ok. Can someone tell me when I can expect to hear the male call out. So looking forward to hearing the sound again.

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
Moved this into the Tree Frogs sub-forum where you will hopefully get some folks that know more about them than I do to answer your question :)

Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Never kept these guys as pets, but we have them in the wild here. I think the calling is seasonal -- spring into summer.

I have had them hitchhike into the house on plants -- we have a deck off our bedroom where my Cattleyas go seasonally, and come in when it is cold; grey tree frogs are wicked loud, especially in the bedroom.

I had one in the house just last night, a really cute tiny guy -- I should have taken a picture. He made his way to the bathroom and was trying to get into the shower.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I kept grey tree frogs for 10+ years. In order for them to call you will need to simulate thunder or rain, most likely. Ours would call when you take them in the shower. They didn't need to get wet. They just needed to experience the humidity and noise.

Those in the yard would start to call just from thunder.

There may be a way to induce calling through temperature and humidity, or maybe with a dormancy period, or through a combination of all those, but I don't have experience with that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I raised some from tadpoles to adults and had them for about 5 years. They called frequently during the breeding season from mid spring for about a month then it decreased. At that point they would call at night off and on especially when the phone ringed. This would last up till fall.

I put the vivarium out in the garage in late fall and worked its way towards the garage door and eventually would put it outside inside in a shaded/covered area and brought it back indoors to the garage and into the house the within a few days once the spring peepers started their calling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts