Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, as some of you may have seen, i caught my vent daddy transporting a tad two days ago... the drop off occurred yesterday while i was at work...

since this is their first successful clutch, i'm wondering if they'll manage to keep up w/ the parental duties and feed the tad(s?). I've only seen one dropped off so far, but am assuming there may be more in broms or dark film cans i can't readily see in.

i know lots of people like to pull their tads, but i'm more interested in watching the whole interaction than having fast breeding, so i was planning on leaving them in situ.

my question is, how long typically before dad calls mama over and gets her to lay a food egg? if it gets to so many days, and they haven't done so, i am prepared to pull him and feed him on my own. or potentially, i could leave him in tank and just add a slight pinch of food every few days... what do you guys think?

thanks,
brett

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
Sometimes the male deposits tadpoles in the same container which are invariably eaten by the larger tadpole instead of eggs... the tadpoles will also eat the flies that end up in the tubes.
When I had them at work, they didn't lay eggs in all of the tadpole deposition sites instead some would get eggs and some would get tadpoles brought to them.

Ed

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i hope his dad doesn't feed him any siblings! i'll try to watch for that and turkey baster out the littler guy if that goes down ... i'm just hoping they feed them sometime soon. not sure how long they can go without right after hatching.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it Brett. Ed mentioned the fruit flies. I guarantee there are already fruit flies in there for him to munch on. There is probably also some algae growing in the broms.

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
well i hope his dad doesn't feed him any siblings! i'll try to watch for that and turkey baster out the littler guy if that goes down ... i'm just hoping they feed them sometime soon. not sure how long they can go without right after hatching.
There is probably still some yolk reserves to hold them over the first few days. In species where there is adult feeding, meals come at infrequent basis....

Ed

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys ... I just came home and caught two of them in another brom doing the love dance... seems like i'll have more tads for the other film cans soon.

-brett

1 - 6 of 6 Posts