Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been quietly browsing this site for weeks now and I am about finally ready to get going with my first frogs. I have a 29g viv that I am working on and will be done in 2-4 weeks and ready for the frogs. I wanted to get some frogs sooner so that I could keep them in smaller tub viv to make sure they were healthy and eating before introducing them to their actual larger viv.

I planned on getting a tub to house 2-3 frogs and just setting it up similar to a larger viv with some substrate, moss, leaves, and small plants. Does this sound like a good idea? Should I wait longer to get them or get the tub setup going for them and get them soon?

Just looking for any and all advice to help me with my new frog interest! Thanks!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Before frogs I would get some springtails to a) seed the viv b) start a culture. This may mean getting more then one culture. I would also get a ff culture and try to get the nuances of making cultures. Ultimately, it would be good idea ensuring you have the means of feeding frogs before you ge the frogs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's suggest to get a few ff cultures going before you get the frogs. Your setup sounds fine. Make sure to feed them and keep humidity and you should be good to go. As for getting the frogs, does the 2-4 weeks include the tank grow in time? If not, then I'd set up the tank, have ff cultures going, get frogs and quarintine them for the 2-4 weeks it takes the tank to grow in. Hope this helps! Btw what specie(s) are you getting?

(haha PantMan you beat me to it!)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I should have mentioned some of that about food. I was planning on seeding the viv with springtails. What would I need a second culture for though? Would that be used as food along with the ff culture? I definately planned on having a ff or two ready for before I got the frogs.

Also the 2-4 week time period I mentioned did include the grow in time, but since we are on that topic how long should I allow it to grow in? As far as species I am not completely sure yet, but I was thinking some tinctorius or auratus morphs. I really want some thumbnails, but since I have 29g long not tall I figured that wouldn't be the best option.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Get some FF cultures going, and it's always nice to have someone/someplace to go for backup cultures. I'm close enough to Black Jungle that I could always make the drive out in an emergency..

Springtails are not "necessary". They are great to have, and they are great to clean your tank, but the frogs will live on just FF's. There's no exact amount you need to let your tank grow-in. That being said, temperature and humidity do matter, if they are fine the frogs can go in.

As far as thumbnails go, these frogs can go from the ground level to 60 feet up in a tree. Whether your tank is 6 inches taller when it's oriented vertically doesn't make that much of a difference.

Surprisingly, PDFs are not as hard to take care of as you might think.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts