Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the rare opportunity of spending about 1.5 hours alone in my home in silence. I was thoroughly enjoying my book I am reading("Dead Man's Walk" by Larry McMurtry) when I start to hear some noises. After a moment I realized that it was the R. sirensis calling. Suddenly the vitts were calling too. They were not competing per se, but they were not chorusing simultaneously. It was really cool to hear them call alternately. It made me wonder, When we are away and the house is quiet, do the frogs just have a singing party? LOL! I guess, they may be calling all the while and the commotion and sounds of a busy house drown them out, but I am back there often and they normally call early afternoon(R. Sirensis), and late evening(P. vittatus).

Just thought it was cool.

JBear

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've had several occasions where I'm tending the frogs and hear several start calling simultaneously. I can pretty well pick out most of the calls but there are a couple of pairs that I've never heard yet. Once I hear a strange call I'll sneak in that direction to try and find out whose calling, still have one call that I can't figure out who it belongs to. The buzzing calls are the ones I really have to be quite to hear.
Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lol, I live in a old victorian home , squeaky wood floors....I'll hear calling and try to sneak into frog room but rat's every time those little bugger's hear my approach !

·
Registered
552 Posts
My sirensis seem to call when there is ambient noise but go quiet very quickly when I sneak up on the tank... they can be pretty shy sometimes. And yet at other times I can reach my hand right in a scoot one of them on my hand and they'll just sit there.

Of course, it could just be the fact that there is usually ambient noise when I'm around to hear them calling :p

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I guess I've been very lucky with frogs calling. I have all my vivariums set up around my desk in my office. My imitators are very loud, borderline obnoxious. As soon as the male varadero (from Doug) gets going, the banded imitators next door get rolling. The FG vents are always buzzing as are the southern variabilis. Combine that with my cristo's and loma partida pumilio, and you can have quite a racket. When all is nice and quiet in the evening and the wife and dogs are on the couch, I can even catch a barely audible call from my cobalts.

My usuall weekend routine is to get up early before the lights are on but the ambient light streaming in through the windows lights things up. Grab a cup of coffee, and surf the boards/facebook for while with the forgs serenading each other in the background.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Lol, I live in a old victorian home , squeaky wood floors....I'll hear calling and try to sneak into frog room but rat's every time those little bugger's hear my approach !
LOL! I've lived in an old victorian home and those frogs probably already hear you when you're just thinking about sneaking into their room. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.