Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok thats says im making a culture and im putting yeast in. When i put the yeast in do i mix it in or let it sit on the top?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I do both. I will mix brewers yeast in the mixture and then after I put the media in the container I will sprinker additional yeast on top. Hope that helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mindcrash said:
You just need to use a pinch of it and spread it out evenly on the top of the media once it's all mixed.
this was the first response from the other thread you started about yeast. this is also exactly what i do. i dont even add enough to cover the top, just a pinch.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
just make sure you only use the brewer's yeast IN the medium, and sprinkle dry active yeast on top. I haven't found the yeast sprinkled on top to be all that beneficial myself, but that is just my experience

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Just a pinch of baker's yeast

Just a pinch of baker's yeast on top. Fleishman's Bakers Yeast is a good product and available in most grocery stores. Notice though that it is baker's and not brewers yeast. While some species of fruit flies do indeed eat fruit, or at least their larva do. Drosophila melanogaster eat yeast. But they don't need a lot of it. Just a pinch will do you fine. A quarter size area on top and no more than that.
Dave

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
xGoldenxTreeFrogx said:
Come on people some help would be nice.
Relax Nathan, did you really expect a flood of answers in 24 minutes? :(

Anyway, on to answer your question. Brewers yeast gets mixed into your medium. Bakers yeast does best when applied on top. A few grains should do. I normally disolve bakers yeast in water first and then apply on top. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Re: Just a pinch of baker's yeast

ED's_Fly_Meat_Inc said:
Just a pinch of baker's yeast on top. Fleishman's Bakers Yeast is a good product and available in most grocery stores. Notice though that it is baker's and not brewers yeast. While some species of fruit flies do indeed eat fruit, or at least their larva do. Drosophila melanogaster eat yeast. But they don't need a lot of it. Just a pinch will do you fine. A quarter size area on top and no more than that.
Dave
Do you feed Fleishman's Bakers Yeast to your springtails, or is plain white rice ok? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Hi Jordan,

Hi Jordan,
Well there are many thoughts on that. I am always one who believes that if it works for you then don't change it. But I do indeed use baker's yeast with my springtails. And most entomology institutions that I work with do as well. But I know people who swear by their cous cous, and pasta, and rice formulas.
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts