Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on purchasing 4-5 teribillis sometime in March. My tank has been planted and cycling since November of last year. Should I start getting culturing down now? Was planning on getting some golden hydei mid februrary to practice before I got my frogs. Would you recommend I also get some melanogaster as well, or will only hydei be fine? For 4-5 frogs would I have to start two cultures per week or only one?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have terribilis and I've never messed with hydei because they sound a little more tricky to culture than melanogaster. The smaller size of the mel's are fine, even though the terrib's can take larger prey items compared to other darts.

If it were me, I'd be fine with 1 culture a week for that many frogs, but that doesn't leave much room for crashes/mistakes, ESPECIALLY for a new keeper.

I might even recommend 1.5 cultures per week; alternating every week making 1 vs 2 cultures.

I would recommend starting flies 4-6 weeks before getting frogs- make as many cultures per week as you intend, and "feed" flies down the toilet.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have terribilis and I've never messed with hydei because they sound a little more tricky to culture than melanogaster. The smaller size of the mel's are fine, even though the terrib's can take larger prey items compared to other darts.

If it were me, I'd be fine with 1 culture a week for that many frogs, but that doesn't leave much room for crashes/mistakes, ESPECIALLY for a new keeper.

I might even recommend 1.5 cultures per week; alternating every week making 1 vs 2 cultures.

I would recommend starting flies 4-6 weeks before getting frogs- make as many cultures per week as you intend, and "feed" flies down the toilet.
Great advice here :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I feed my Terribillis hydei, i have not found them any harder to culture that melo's. But they do take a little longer to complete their life cycle. This is not a big deal once you have a schedule.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts