Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering when do tads stop eating? I know they don't eat when they start absorbing their tails, but how soon does this happen after they pop their front legs? Of course this may (and probably does) vary for each species, so state what you have noticed from the frogs you are working with. I have raised a fair number of frogs, but have feed the tads until I noticed the tails actually being absorbed... but I was wondering if I was feeding something that didn't want to be, or should I say that it couldn't eat the same food anymore as its mouth was changing into its final stage? I am sure I worded this horribly, but hopefully you'll be able to get at what I am asking lol.

Also, has anyone noticed that some metamorphs are better at climbing out of the water then others? I am curious about thumbnails mainly, as my P. aurotaenia easily climb out and I don't have to worry about them every drowing in the water... but I worry about vents and imitators. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
850 Posts
All I have had morph are azureus, and they have all attempted leaving the water within a few days of their front legs coming out. It seems like the second they get their front legs they try and leave the water. We left them in the 'morphing container' until their entire tail was gone. From these actions I would guess they quit eating shortly after the front legs come out. The one way to know for sure when they stop eating is to watch the length of the tail. Although they probably stop eating several days before the tail is noticably being absorbed. Sorry I don't have any more concise info for you.

G

·
The imitators that have morphed out for me didn't have any problem climbing up the sides of the sloped shoeboxes I use for them.They have even been on the side with most of their tail still there.
Mark W.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've removed one armed tinctorius tadpoles from the water and placed them in a different container with around a quarter inch of water and no food to continue developing. I didn't have any problems with those two so it's reasonable to assume that they stop eating, or at least don't need food, as soon as the first front arm pops out. Talk to you later,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.