Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent seen a good thread of people's frog schedules. It would be interesting to see when everyone feeds, cleans, and mists.
I really would like to know if having a set schedule for the frogs is a good thing? Do they become conditioned like a pavlovian dog? Is this best for "natural" enclosures?

On a typical day, my lights come on at 7:00am and go off at 7:00pm. Its a good time for me because, Im up at 7am. My frogs are in my bedroom so the light schedule is important. I like to feed my frogs in the morning around 9:00am. Ill also give a small snack 2-3 times a week for the smaller froglets. Ill mist depending on the humidity readings and ill also mist if it rains outside (trying to mimic some barometric pressure effects). I have 5 tanks so I use a handheld mister and just wet all the surfaces for a few seconds. Ill be getting a mistking system soon to help automate. My whole rocess takes about 15 minutes for feeding, misting, ect.

What do others do?

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
My lights and misting system are on timers. Lights go on 7:30 am and go off at 5pm.
The mister does every 8hrs. for 20 seconds ( at times this does need to be adjusted)
Feeding is in the morning, usually 3-4 times a week.

John

·
Registered
533 Posts
Lights on timers from 8am-8pm. Misting is totally random and the amount depends on if the frogs are breeding, or if I'm trying to cycle them off. I feed every other day, but at random times. Sometimes early morning, sometimes late morning. Occasionally I feed in the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
First lights on at 8:30, second set of lights on at 9:00 Off at 9:30 and 10. Misting is 8 times a day for 10 seconds and about 5 gal first thing in the morning to wake the frogs up. I feed about twice a week.

check for eggs when I get home from work.

Feeding tads and transfering to morphout is on a completly random schedule along with other cleaning chores.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, great responses. Does everyone have a frog room or is their stuff in a more public area? My tanks are in my living area.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Lights go on at 10am (I wake up late :p ), I mist by hand at that time for a few minutes, then I mist again at 1pm, feed flies, then mist again at 6pm, and one last time at 12am. Then My lights go off at about 12:30am.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Lights go on at 8AM and turn of at 8PM. I mist by hand depending how high the humidty is. I feed in the morning and again in the afternoon .I feed everyday. Maybe every other day.:D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Lights on at 9:45am. Off at 9:45PM. Fed daily right now as I have froglets in one tank and a breeding pair in the other. Sometimes I will do a second light feeding 2 hours later or so as I am still learning just how many flies to toss in to tanks.

Mist at 6AM pretty heavily and again at about 8 or 9PM. Should have Mist King installed this week. Probably going with with a 5 x 5 (5 times, 5 seconds).

Isos/Springs containers get burped, fed, and moisture added if necessary every Saturday.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
My frog room gets ambient light, so, I let them wake up with the sun. Later, after they've had time to shed and stretch their little limbs, I turn on the lights, give a quick mist with a bottle, and feed them.

These days, I turn the lights back off before I head out to work. Just too hot!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Lights go on about 7:30 am I feed when I get home around 6pm I will Mist around 7 or just before feeding and lights out 8:30pm.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Lights and misting is on a timer. Lights on by 6:30 and off by 9. Misting is 20 seconds once a day. My frogroom stays humid, when I use to live in an apartment I would mist 3 times a day.

Feeding is every other day, usually in the evening, if its a weekend I do it in the morning.

Tadpole and froglet care depends on how many and how old they are. Currently i am spending almost a hour checking on froglets, and morphing tads.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
wow, great responses. Does everyone have a frog room or is their stuff in a more public area? My tanks are in my living area.
I have two rooms which are about 200-250 SF each in my basement which are separated by the main den area. One room is all darts, the other has some treefrogs, and geckos, along with all my tads, froglets and growout tanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts