Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, what's everyone's favorite frog species with regards to their behavior and why? Is it because they're constantly moving around the viv? Or maybe it's because they're always singing music to your ears. Perhaps it's because of their parental behavior. In any case, share!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just wondering, what's everyone's favorite frog species with regards to their behavior and why? Is it because they're constantly moving around the viv? Or maybe it's because they're always singing music to your ears. Perhaps it's because of their parental behavior. In any case, share!
My standard imis. They were bold, called all the time, and I got to see them raising tads all the way until I had to sell them (moving)

Honestly I want them back

·
Registered
309 Posts
Dendrobates leucomelas is always going to be a stand out for me. It might have something to do with them being my first frogs but also their call is beautiful and they are very bold. Also the contrast of yellow on black just pops. Great frogs
Logan

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i like that my terribs are fearless. i can reach down next to them and they dont move, its almost like they believe "hey i can kill you idiot, why should i move?"

obligates are great for parental care, but letting some ranitomeya do their thing can be easier to actually watch IME

james

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
man thats the hard question! all of my frogs are super bold i can see any of them at almost any time. the A. Bass are amazing agile jumpers and angry eaters they attack pin heads with a force that is great to watch. the Galacs are clumsy and fearless (will eat flies off my hand/arm if i get in the tank to move something) and they are absolute fatties (they always want more) then the pumilios bounce around the 20 verts and sing and are playful... so i guess my favorite is depending on my mood.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I have had a 5.0 group for about 6 months now and the males are always out calling and wrestling each other (maybe too much so). I need to arrange to acquire some females for them, but they are still a really amazing species to work with.

Richard.

Anyone have experience with golden mantellas? I hear they're also very bold and always moving about and interacting with each other.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
I will always answer this question with a resounding D.t. azureus! They were once the rarest frog in the hobby (and still a rare species in the wild) and, while many have moved on to the next great thing (of the moment), I haven't seen any new frogs that are as beautiful as azureus. They are very bold and hardy and fairly easy to breed in captivity.

Richard.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
my leucs. they are so funny to watch, and have a ton of personality. They jump on my hand while I am doing tank maintenance, and line up at the front of the viv to beg in the afternoons, and have such an amazing call

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've kept a bunch of tincs, some thumbs and my favorites have always been good ol green and black auratus. They just look good in my vivs!

·
Registered
713 Posts
I love both my Leuc's and Cobalts behavior for different reasons.

With the Cobalts, they are not shy or the least bit concerned there is a 5 toed thing moving around in their home. One even tried 'eating' my thumb. I felt its tongue touch me.

The Leuc's are younger, as soon as they hear the door open, they all scurry away. I find this very cute. :p

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the Cobalts, they are not shy or the least bit concerned there is a 5 toed thing moving around in their home. One even tried 'eating' my thumb. I felt its tongue touch me.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wow that's impressive! One of the most interesting behaviors that one of my azureus displays is that when I open up the viv to mist/feed, it'll hop out from wherever it's hiding and almost run/hop to the spot with the highest vantage point (which happens to be the top of a coco hut), and turn around so it can see where all the fruit flies land haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.