Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, looking to broaden my frog horizons and try something new.

Im loving and researching ranitomeya as a viable option, just thought id ask how people enjoy theirs who have them. what tank setups they seem happiest in, etc.

Ranitomeya variabilis "Highland" has caught my eye in particular.

I normally lean towards bold frogs, but i enjoy my shy guys as well. im sure this can go in other categories but figured id start in general.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
reticulata.... Although if you don't have quite a bit of experience with other ranitomeya probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Reticulata are by far the best ranitomeya but Id say they are the most difficult to keep thriving and to breed successfully. Vanzo's are by far the boldest of the ranitomeya Ive worked with.

Michael

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Reticulata are by far the best ranitomeya but Id say they are the most difficult to keep thriving and to breed successfully. Vanzo's are by far the boldest of the ranitomeya Ive worked with.

Michael
Its funny, I hear that often but mine are the shyest of my frogs. Varadero are my boldest on my end.

Look forward to adding some retics and benedicta in the very near future.

Oddly one of my boldest frogs is my larger escudo, every time I open the viv door it comes bounding out to see me. Its almost jumped into my face a couple times.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I love my R. varaderos...They are quite bold and out quite a bit of the time no longer hide once I open the viv for the most part plus it is hard to beat the "Hot Rod flame" paint job colors. R. variabilis has caught my eye as well so I had to get some but have to wait for better temps to get shipped.

·
Registered
108 Posts
hey all, looking to broaden my frog horizons and try something new.

Im loving and researching ranitomeya as a viable option, just thought id ask how people enjoy theirs who have them. what tank setups they seem happiest in, etc.

Ranitomeya variabilis "Highland" has caught my eye in particular.

I normally lean towards bold frogs, but i enjoy my shy guys as well. im sure this can go in other categories but figured id start in general.

thanks in advance!
I have a trio R. variabilis 'Highland," and they are beautiful frogs! Mine are fairly bold. I think R. benedicta is about the best looking, but mine are pretty scarce most of the time. The best humored and fairly bold Ranitomeya for me are the Vanzo's--I call mine the Polka Dot Wonders. They are really laid back and are very curious.
Really want to get R. reticulata, but don't know if I have the skill sets for them yet.

Mike in Helotes

·
Registered
815 Posts
All of them are amazing. I am more for the imitators though. I will eventually have a set up where I will have the imitator and the particular species they mimic.

To me it seems like once people get into thumbs, that's where the addiction really takes off. I think a big reason for this is because the vertical set ups, we are able to fit more on a rack due to their smaller footprint. That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Of my thumbs I see my Vanzolini the most, and they always come out to call after a heavy misting. I lot of it has to do with your tank setup if you want to see them more often. For example they love to sit in broms, so you would want to angle your broms towards the front to allow a better view into them. Thumbs do hide, but they do come out several times during the day. Just try to avoid the fear of loss when you do not see them sometimes. Don't go looking for them, they will come out when they are comfortable.

If you want a bold small frog you should look into the Anthonyii and Tricolors. They are almost always out and about.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Love my standard lamasi! two of the three are pretty bold. But the ones I see the most are my varaderos. Thanks for the varaderos mike!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all of the input, cant tell you how much i appreciate it :) im working on a tear down and rebuild for what will probably be a pair when i decide. Im still laughing about mike almost getting frog faced.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hmm, I have 5 vero's and 5 intermedius each in there own 18X18X24 heavily planted terrariums. My veroderos are a bit shy where my intermedius are bold and out in the open all the time. Glad to see vanzo's are bold they are on my list. John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts