Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look at the bottom portion of the plant the leaves are perfectly formed but the new growth at the top the leaves look like they are dying with out even forming all the way. Why does this happen and how can one prevent it?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hey Ali,

Considering that Begonia glabra will happily grow in high humidity/moisture and under low light levels, I will suggest that either the air is too dry or the lighting is too bright.

If humidity isn't likely to be the problem, try adding a couple small patches of mesh or screen between the light and and top of the tank, directly above the plant, and see if a little shading doesn't help. If I'm wrong, it could be a nutrient in excess or a deficiency. It might be possible for the growing end to become snagged in the Epiweb, but that wouldn't account for the state of the leaves.

Is there a compact spiral bulb above the plant?

Mike

If you look at the bottom portion of the plant the leaves are perfectly formed but the new growth at the top the leaves look like they are dying with out even forming all the way. Why does this happen and how can one prevent it?

·
Registered
725 Posts
i know in the planted aquarium hobby, deformed new growth equates to calcium deficiency. I have no idea if this still applies to terrestrials or not though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi,
it looks a lot like uv damage to the new leaves before they harden off.

tempory shading, moving the plant slightly, using a lower uv output lamp if available & suitable or just raising the lights a little until new growth hardens could help

cheers Marcus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts