Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put this 'Blushing tiger' in my 29g. It is my first viv and my first bromeliad so I am a total Noob. Is it to wet? Is it a burn? Im using a exoterra CFL compact top that has three 6500k bulbs. There is little to no airflow in the viv as well. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
What are your temps? Sometimes, bromeliads will get these marks when water is sitting on the leaves and temps are getting too cool.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Temps are about 75-78. I have been spraying about everyday. I think i need to hold off on the spraying. I hope it doesn't die, sure is a beautiful plant!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
It appears that the "leaves" are touching the sides of wall at these points. Most plants don't like that kind of contact. Maybe they are simply bruised.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mine looks like that from being pinched inbetween my top and the rim.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I know if the leaves get folded in half the top half usually will die back.
Sometimes its helpfull to drain the water from the brom and refill it using distilled, RO or spring water. Over time the water can get stagnant, Ive actually had a few brom axials start to grow algae pretty good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use distilled water. This brom also doesn't like to hold water. Will this leave just die off not gaming the rest of the plant? Should I cut it off?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Can we get a full tank shot to see where the brom is curently placed? Also, are the roots planted in the subtrate?

With my current Neo., in the summer up north (Northeast), it gets very humid, usually 60-85%. So this brom wasn't planted but rather as an experiment, I treated it as a epiphytic-type of plant. About three weeks went by and the tip of the brom looked like the picture you posted. I ruled out the plant wasn't getting enough light, as there wasn't any way the roots were rotting since they weren't in dirt.

This same brom is now in one of my vivs where the humidity is kept at 80-90+%. It is also under 2 T5HO bulbs in a 24x18x18 Exo, and the roots are still currently not planted in my subtrate. I have not encountered a problem with the leaves 'browning' since then.

Hope my experience with my big brom will help rule out some variables.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is not planted in the substrate I have it mounted on a piece of cork bark with some toothpics. I have a full tank shot in the Members frogs and vivs section. (SAUCE BOSS 29g)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts