Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got interested in this hobby around 2 years ago, I was going to get started by acquiring a few E. tricolors. Hardly anyone seemed to be keeping them, and they were going to be dirt cheap (as far as PDF's go). I only found one or two people who could supply any. I ended up never getting any, and life got really busy, and the interest wained...

But recently I've been looking at getting started again. But now it seems like tricolors are all over the place. What's with that? A few years ago no one wanted anything to do with them...and now they're 'the in thing' to have...and the price has gone up accordingly.

What's the deal?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I guess that people realized what a beautiful frog it is and now they have to have them. I too got back into the hobby last year and I got 4 tricolors just over a month ago. I think the reason is that people have been put off by their drab coloring as juvenilles, but have figured out that they get their red as adults and that by feeding paprika you can keep them as red as the pretty pictures have it.

-Ben

·
Administrator
8,795 Posts
Frog popularity comes and goes.

7 years ago - many people couldn't "give" Quinquevittatus group frogs away.

Now you have trouble buying them.

That's why the best bet is to keep what you like. Not keep what is a "good investment".

s

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I quit breeding tricolors years ago. They come out of the water small. They take about half a year before they color up. I had a tough time selling them. Now that their aren't many around the price is climbing.
On the plus side the adults look nice, they are active, and they sing nice. Their simple to breed and lay big clutches.

·
Registered
230 Posts
When you did have them, what did you keep them in. Right now mine are still in a shoebox, but they are starting to take off in size, Can I keep them, meaning all 4, in a 10gal or should I go for larger. I have limited room and can do only one more larger tank.

You are right about the size and coloration. As froglets they are less than exciting, extremely small and drab. When I got mine they were a month out of water and much smaller than any frog I've had. They are in their 3rd month out of water and are now starting to gain in size, on the plus side, even though they are small they're aggressive eaters and even the smallest ones won't hesitate at lunging after hydei.

-Ben

·
Administrator
8,795 Posts
I kept 4 in a 10g tanks for a long time. Didn't enjoy them much at all though.

I've added 2 more and have them in a 16" cube (that's about 15g).

They're out a lot more and much more enjoyable.

s

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Now I know that I don't have to go out and get a large enclosure, even though it would probably do them better.

-Ben

1 - 8 of 8 Posts