Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had iso's for a week or so, tried dogfood and I get these, maybe im just a newbie and these are babies or something, maybe not? Please help

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Detrivore mites. Baby isopods look like the adults only smaller.

Ed

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Shouldn't be a big problem. Frogs love mites and they rarely displace isopods in a culture. Not sure if it would make a difference, but I feed my iso's squash and I've never seen anything like these...you might want to give that a try.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe, ill do dogfood once a week and just pull it out after a day with the mites on it and toss it in the toilet, good to know the frogs eat them!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Maybe, ill do dogfood once a week and just pull it out after a day with the mites on it and toss it in the toilet, good to know the frogs eat them!
Yes, they are mites. Pulling and tossing as you suggested would keep them under control. If you wanted to get more aggressive about having a clean culture, you could pull a number of clean isopods with NO dirt, and put them into a new, sterile culture. I have seen mites take over and destroy springtail cultures but they never seem to do too much damage to isopod cultures.

Reactions: Edhurl
1 - 8 of 8 Posts