Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some azureus tincs that are maybe a bit chubby. I've researched elsewhere on this forum to learn about bloat and I don't think it's that.
When they are resting, their tummies make a lot of contact with the floor. I've cut back feeding lately, feeding only every 2-3 days, but still fairly generously at each feed. The kids don't seem to be slimming down much, but I'm reluctant to cut back further, without support from the experts here.
The pic from the site banner - pasted below - is a good example of how my frogs look (maybe this one is even a bit bigger than mine). That alone gives me some assurance I'm on the right track.
Organism Adaptation Terrestrial animal Reptile Electric blue

My frogs are about 2 years old (I've had them since March 2021, they were maybe 4 months out of water at that time).
→ I'm looking for a number: how many dusted hydei should be fed to each frog? If I continue with the "diet" what's a low range for what's still healthy? Eg how many flies per feeding, say every 3 days? If the frogs appear healthy in all other ways, can I cut back feeding a bit more? Should I?
If I were asked the above (on a subject I knew more about), I'd probably give some variation of "it depends". I'm okay with that, but if you can include some reference points or specific recommendations in your reply I'll appreciate it.

Alternatively, here are 2 pics of 3 of my frogs. Do they look big to you all, or is it just me?
As I post these I think that they look bigger in person, and the pics seem to under-represent their rotundity. For the sake or argument, let's say the camera takes away a few grams, what are thoughts?
Purple Organism Terrestrial plant Underwater Marine biology

Reptile Lizard Scaled reptile Iguania Terrestrial animal

PS does anyone want to guess at gender? I think it's 3 females.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
They might be a little chunky. How often are you feeding. Most of us feed our adult frogs every 2 to 3 days.

It's hard to sex them from those pics but from what I can see they do look like 3 females. I'd like some better pics though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The specimen on the right in the second picture looks a healthy weight to me.
Silence can speak volumes. Lol

I'd like some better pics though.
I’d like to be able to TAKE better pics. Here are a few attempts.
What I found, while watching the frogs and trying to take more/better pictures, is that whenever they sit/squat low, they tend to look fairly dumpy. But when they sit up, like they’re taking interest in something or while they’re in between hops around the joint, it’s not so obvious.
Currently I’m feeding every 3 days, sometimes every other day. Prior to say 3 weeks ago, I was feeding daily most of the time. I’ve never got the knack of counting flies when feeding, but maybe 20 hydei flies each??

Purple Blue Poison dart frog Organism Scaled reptile

Plant Underwater Organism Scaled reptile Terrestrial plant

Frog True frog Poison dart frog Toad Plant

Blue Purple Poison dart frog Organism Terrestrial plant

Underwater Organism Terrestrial plant Marine biology Terrestrial animal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts