Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the advantages of glass tops over plexi-glass? Ive noticed theres a big fuss over glass tops, why dont people just use plexi? I mean you can drill it and add a handle and everything....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What causes it to warp? I have 1/4" plexi for my lid right now and it hasnt shown any signs of warping, it may be because the lid is only about 13"x11"....is it recomended that i get some glass cut for a lid?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Do you have lights on it yet? I highly recommend glass, I've tried thicker plexi, thicker is not the answer, if you really want to use plexi, you will have to brace it up somehow to keep it from warping.

·
Registered
356 Posts
a supplemental qustion:

what are you guys doing to smoth the edges of yer glass cut tops, so you don't have all the little nicks and cuts that i have now? ;-)

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I use a belt sander, no special belt required, but if there is a belt for glass somewhere, somebody let me know!
Before I had a belt sander, I used a dremel bit for ceramics in a drill (don't have a dremel, :roll: yet)
Wear you're safety glasses :shock: !

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Another sup. question:

Can you up the flourescents or CF's right on the glass? won't the heat from them crack it?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I don't know about regular flourescents, but a compact bulb directly on the glass will crack it, real quick! Unless it is tempered.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
So how do you set up the lighting fixtures and the glass top?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi Dev,

you can use any ordinary sandpaper to sand the edges...

devin mac
Total posts: 38
Gender: Male Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:18 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a supplemental qustion:

what are you guys doing to smoth the edges of yer glass cut tops, so you don't have all the little nicks and cuts that i have now?

Maybe I should watch out for my glass top. I've got 2 65W CFs on my glasstop 1/4"...and it's not tempered.

Dancing frogs Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:12 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about regular flourescents, but a compact bulb directly on the glass will crack it, real quick! Unless it is tempered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts