Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This brom flowered a couple of months ago and once the flowers died off these things popped up. What the heck are they... germinated seeds? If they are, what do I do with them? :eek:

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Yeah, those are the fruit. The seeds are inside. You can either leave them there or take them out and squeez the seeds out onto some damp sphagnum moss. They germinate pretty easily but are very slow to grow into recognizable or usable bromeliads.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! I'll put them on some damp sphagnum moss. Do I keep them in the dark or something? And how the heck did they get fertilized!? ...Maybe the fruit flies?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will they grow on their own if left in there?
This is a "collector brom" so I think I'll take them out. This brom has no color since it doesn't get much light but it's supposed to look like this:

(not my pic)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy crap... I just popped one of them open and about 50 tiny little seeds came out! What do I do with them? I smeared a few on some sphag.

*Sorry for the triple post*

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
i sow bromeliad seed on damp sphag in a shallow pot, then place the pot in a clear plastic bag. most brom seeds need light to germinate, but be careful not to put the bag in direct sun or it will quickly over heat. several inches below a pair of t8's works just fine. seedlings can be divided into individuals or community pots when large enough to handle without breaking-usually at least 3-5 leaves. expect your seedlings to flower in 3-7 years for neos. good luck, and don't be afraid to send some seed my way:D

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i sow bromeliad seed on damp sphag in a shallow pot, then place the pot in a clear plastic bag. most brom seeds need light to germinate, but be careful not to put the bag in direct sun or it will quickly over heat. several inches below a pair of t8's works just fine. seedlings can be divided into individuals or community pots when large enough to handle without breaking-usually at least 3-5 leaves. expect your seedlings to flower in 3-7 years for neos. good luck, and don't be afraid to send some seed my way:D
If you want some seeds PM me. I could probably send about 50 in an envelope. That goes for anyone else too. I'll probably only keep like 3 of those fruits you see in the picture... so many seeds in them!

·
Registered
725 Posts
thats pretty sweet man. are you selling them or just giving them away? we pay for shipping?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats pretty sweet man. are you selling them or just giving them away? we pay for shipping?
Selling... I'm trying to build a reef tank here :D. I'd be selling 50 for $10 (I think). If you grew them up and resold them you could easily make like 5x more than the original investment. I'm going to try to germinate a few seeds on my own. If they germinate, then I'll sell. If not I'll toss them or give them away for free. I'll get back to you guys in 2 weeks to see if they germinated... I'll be planting them tomorrow. If you'd like some then PM me and I'll keep a list or something. Maybe I'll make an ad in the classifieds.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The artical says about 2 years from seed to flower......

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
are you sure it didn't cross pollinate with another brom?
No other brom has bloomed in the viv so far besides this one... well, besides some cryptanthus, but that was a while before this one bloomed and the crypt was producing pups already before the bloom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts