Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to use distilled water in my terrarium so i dont leave mineral build up but i heard spring water is better though. So which one should i use?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Only use spring/RO with tadpoles. Distilled is best for glass tanks. I have acrylic so I don't honestly care about my mineral buildup on the sides.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I was thinking mist with distilled and for the waterfall use spring water, is that ok?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Spring water is going to leave deposits in your tank. Especially if you have a water feature. Let me tell you, getting mineral deposits off is a nightmare. It also looks horrible. Like everyone else said, R/O water or distilled. You can get R/O water outside of most grocery stores at those automated dispensers. According to my TDS pen, it's always better than the R/O water they sell at pet stores. Go figure!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Ed is right RO and Distilled are equivalent....

Watch out tho cause some of these jugs say distilled when they aren't really distilled water. I always call the company to make sure but some of the bottlers are idiots and just say on the jug that it is filtered using carbon filtration lol.

Distilled water is filtered water that is vaporised and the steam/water droplets are collected. It is pretty much pure water. The minerals are to heavy to be carries by the steam.
Most distilled water is actually ran through RO filters then distilled.
I use Walmarts or Kroger's brand.
Distilling works like a moonshine stil lol.....the ingredients are boiled and the steam is collected wich is pure alcohol.

I wouldn't use spring water at all when it comes to frogging

·
Registered
635 Posts
I Just use Poland Spring... The other day i bought "10" 1 gallon jugs for 10 bucks. I havent seen any spots on my tank from misting . :D

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Some brands are also labeled "Purified Water" which could simply mean that the water was passed through activated carbon, which won't remove inorganic minerals.

I do use spring water to make my tadpole tea. For terrestrial species that deposit their tadpoles in streams or pools of water, I assume that there is some calcium and other minerals in that water. Obligates, however, are reared essentially in rainwater that is flushed regularly, so that is another good reason to mist with distilled/RO water.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ed is right RO and Distilled are equivalent....

Watch out tho cause some of these jugs say distilled when they aren't really distilled water. I always call the company to make sure but some of the bottlers are idiots and just say on the jug that it is filtered using carbon filtration lol.

Distilled water is filtered water that is vaporised and the steam/water droplets are collected. It is pretty much pure water. The minerals are to heavy to be carries by the steam.
Most distilled water is actually ran through RO filters then distilled.
I use Walmarts or Kroger's brand.
Distilling works like a moonshine stil lol.....the ingredients are boiled and the steam is collected wich is pure alcohol.

I wouldn't use spring water at all when it comes to frogging
I agree with you and Ed somewhat. It depends on what process the water co. is using to distilled their water. using copper piping for distilling isn't great at all, especially for the reef hobbyists. Also I remember a news show not to long ago, doing an under cover story about bottle water companies. How some company was selling plain tap water.
That's how come I prefer to use a, R.O. filter unit. I know how my water is being filtered. Besides that, it's cheaper in the long run. (pennies on the gallon)

·
Banned
11 Posts
I'd used distilled. I used to mist/etc with tap water (where I live, my tap is spring water, nothing else in it) and after a few weeks I got a crusty coat on the glass. It's very hard to clean. As for the safety of your frogs, both are fine. There are many debates on using Tap, RO, and distilled.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Some brands are also labeled "Purified Water" which could simply mean that the water was passed through activated carbon, which won't remove inorganic minerals.

I do use spring water to make my tadpole tea. For terrestrial species that deposit their tadpoles in streams or pools of water, I assume that there is some calcium and other minerals in that water. Obligates, however, are reared essentially in rainwater that is flushed regularly, so that is another good reason to mist with distilled/RO water.
Technically there isn't any requirement that "spring" water come from a spring. It can be from a municple water source and bottled straight from the tap (this is done with New York City water as an example).

Ed

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I agree with you and Ed somewhat. It depends on what process the water co. is using to distilled their water. using copper piping for distilling isn't great at all, especially for the reef hobbyists. Also I remember a news show not to long ago, doing an under cover story about bottle water companies. How some company was selling plain tap water.
That's how come I prefer to use a, R.O. filter unit. I know how my water is being filtered. Besides that, it's cheaper in the long run. (pennies on the gallon)

How many commercially available water distillation units are still using copper? From when I when I worked in pharmaceutical and manufacturing labs in the late 1980s, virtually all were done with non-reactive materials.

I do prefer using an RO as I can then modify it as I want.

Ed

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
"The suit also states, hydro-geologists hired by Nestlé found that another current source for Poland Spring water near the original site stands over a former trash and refuse dump, and below an illegal disposal site where human sewage was sprayed as fertilizer for many years."

Oh, yuck! And to think of how many people have DRANK it!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thats really disgusting!! I dont really remember drinking that stuff. Thank god.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Quick question... we have natural springs all over around here... how would using that work out? I can literally walk to a natural spring. People dont generally go to that one as you cant reach it by boat. There are several others that you can reach by boat that tons of people go to.

They are crystal clear and water temps are always in the 70's... any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quick question... we have natural springs all over around here... how would using that work out? I can literally walk to a natural spring. People dont generally go to that one as you cant reach it by boat. There are several others that you can reach by boat that tons of people go to.

They are crystal clear and water temps are always in the 70's... any thoughts?
Like Ed said in the other thread you posted there could be pathogens in the water or herbacides and other chemicals that can cause problems.
I wouldn't chance it at all.

@Wendy.....wow that is gross....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts