Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first vivarium and was wondering what would go good in it. I have never owned dart frogs before. The size is 18x18x24. I was looking at terribilis but thought it might be too small.

Flower Plant Botany Petal Houseplant

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, 18x18 is quite small for a frog as large as Terribilis. If you end up going with a Leucomelas or a Tinctorius, I'd recommend replacing the small leaf litter with bigger ones as they're currently too small to provide any utility for the frogs. What's going on with the bottom left of your tank?
ok good to know. What do you mean about the bottom left?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, if you're buying a pre-made viv there's probably a few other questions you'd want to ask the seller like: if there's been anything in there before and what isopod species etc. I'm sure someone with more experience doing this can provide a more exhaustive list.
ok thanks. will do that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That looks like a nice viv, and whoever made it should be proud of their work. That said, in my opinion it is best to build your own viv, because:

1) the frog species should be chosen first, and then the viv sized and built to suit it. This is more important than new keepers realize.
2) you'll be able to control things about the build that another builder might have failed to do (disinfecting plants and leaf litter before use comes to mind)
3) you'll learn a lot (a lot) about frog care by designing and building its viv. Darts are not a good 'buy kit, add animal' animal, since their husbandry is somewhat challenging -- these are not very good first exotics pets, and take much more than a properly set up viv to be well cared for.
4) You'll know -- with 100% certainty -- that a frog didn't recently die of unknown causes in there.
Thanks for the advice. I did try to make my own viv but it just didn’t work out. It looked really bad and some of the plants died. I would definitley be open to trying again tho after this viv goes well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, sometimes vivs look bad. My first couple...four or five...did. The frogs don't care how they look (mine don't, thankfully). Sometimes plants die. Some of the plants in a prebuilt viv might die.

Getting the viv design right (for the frogs, not for appearance's sake) and plant care down isn't something to be skipped; the frogs are going to be much, much less forgiving so best to ride that curve out with cork bark and plants since if they die it's really no big deal.
Thanks your right. Do you know of any good resources for tank building guides or advice?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts