Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do dart frog require reverse osmosis water? How do most people treat their water before misting dart frogs?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I don't think the metals & minerals will evaporate. Usually the tap water is left to stand for a while for the chlorine in the water to dissapate.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
honor_your_life said:
leave tap water out for 24 to let the metals and minerals evaporate
Minerals and Solids can only evaporate under conditions that would have left water vaporized 1000's of degrees before.

It allows the chlorine and other chemicals in the water that might be harmful to frogs to evaporate. But, we usually prefer to err on the side of caution, and use spring water, or reverse osmosis.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I just buy a regular water filter that hooks to my faucet?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The ones that do what's necessary are WAY too expensive to do what ya need it to do. Honestly, I would just buy spring water if you've only got a few frogs, or are only getting a few frogs. That's your best option. 1 dollar a gallon for your frogs health. Isn't that worth it to ya? :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
themann42 said:
is spring the same as distilled?
no, spring water contains minerals and trace elements, while distilled is the purest form of water available, striped of everything.

I fill the pool with spring water during water changes, and use distilled for misting.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
themann42 said:
Distilled, as said before, is pure. It's made by turning the water to steam, and the steam collects (usually on a large cloth, sometimes on massive sheets of metal) and drips into recepticles. Usually done 2+ times. It lacks almost everything but H2O. Spring water is collected from an actual spring, and has everything in it that the spring had in it.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
bluedart said:
themann42 said:
Spring water is collected from an actual spring, and has everything in it that the spring had in it.
Uhhh...I'd hate to see what they'd charge for it if that were true.
Most "spring water" is just really good well water, which is essentially the same thing.

There are also brands that claim to be "spring water" but on the ingredients it shows distilled water, plus minerals to improve taste.

G

·
0 Posts
yeah we live on the south side of mt. shasta... mt. shasta springwater, just like any other springwater, is pumped from deep aquifers, then through an RO machine or otherwise, and then resalted to give the "springwater" flavor... same stuff nestle will be selling soon in fact, and sparklets already does...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The grocery store by my house sells spring water and reverse osmosis water. Which one would be better for my frogs and plants?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I would go with distilled water, for a couple of reasons. It's often (not always) cheaper, and you know what's in it. You can always add a drop of blackwater extract, a tiny bit of "tadpole tea" water, etc. to get a few more solutes in the water if you are going to be using it in a dish or something. If it's put in a water feature it will fill up with normal solutes so quickly that it's rarely an issue (btw, the only reason it would theoretically be an issue is if a frog/tad sat in distilled water for a very long time. Because it's pure, it might do screwy things to cells because of osmolarity issues). Because it's pure, distilled is always better to spray tanks with (no streaks).

Some spring water is high in nitrogen, and you never really know what "spring" it came from. I have heard reliable stories of some grocery outlets filling up "spring" water bottles from taps in the store, and I wouldn't bat an eye if I learned some major companies do just that. My personal guess is that a lot of spring water is a total hoax; plus it is incredibly costly in terms of energy, etc. It's actually really bad for the environment, compared to tap water.

Anyway, in a nutshell: i think you can be *more* sure of distilled.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is distilled water the same as reverse osmosis? Thanks!

Katie

·
Registered
928 Posts
The process by which the two are made is different, but I believe the end product is pretty much the same (depending on what type of membranes/filters are used in the RO process). Basically, pure water is pure water, doesn't matter how you get there.

Distilled water is boiled, and the steam is funneled through an enclosed chamber, condensing on the cooler material, until it flows into a vessel or holding tank.

Reverse osmosis water is forced through various semipermeable membranes, leaving solutes and suspended particles on one side, and pure water on the other. At least that's the general idea.

I don't think it much matters which you use; for small applications, distilled might be cheaper, but for large volumes/long times, RO may be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
928 Posts
BTW in my first post (a few above) I should have said some spring water is high in nitrates/nitrites (can't remember which); nitrogen itself is of course a harmless, inert gas.

G

·
0 Posts
GENERALLY, its not recomended that you use distilled water for any amphibian, becuasue the lack of solutes messes up the osmatic balance (amphibians have extremely permeable skin, since water moves from areas of less ion concentration to areas of greater, we can see why distilled water could be a bad choice). However, if you use spring (or even worse, tap) water in your misting system it will clog the nozzles faster. Now, spring water wont clog them as fast as tap, but distilled is still the best. In such small quatities such as mist it really cant cause any harm. Its also good for misting becuase when it evaporates it leaves behind far less minerals than other waters.

As far as reverse osmosis and distilled water go, Im pretty sure that they're almost the same thing, but RO water may be purer. This part I am unsure about though, so someone else will have to give a definitive answer.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Distilled is generally considered to be the pureist, with RO in a close second, though like everything, there isn't a true "magic bullet". Here's a very good link describing the aspects of many different kinds of water purification. Link

IMO, the differences between distilled and RO water for our application is trivial. We need great water, but not ultra-pure-we're-using-this-to-make-pharmaceuticals-or-similar pure.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
defaced said:
Distilled is generally considered to be the pureist, with RO in a close second, though like everything, there isn't a true "magic bullet". Here's a very good link describing the aspects of many different kinds of water purification. Link
According to that link, RO is more pure. As well as from my reef keeping/fish tank keeping days, I always used RO for the purest source of water.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Where are you reading that it says it's more pure? I read no conclusions at all on that page. Please quote it. In fact, is says that it's economical and easy, but only removes "Effectively removes all types of contaminants to some extent (particles, pyrogens, microorganisms, colloids and dissolved inorganics)." Some extent, not completely. "Reverse osmosis (RO) is the most economical method of removing 90% to 99% of all contaminants."

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts