Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's certainly an abundance of "what frog should I get" threads all over the internet on various forums, and plenty of the advice given on species certainly seems to be similar.

My question however is: What are people actually choosing for their first species?

Are you going with one of the five suggested in the beginner frog FAQ thread? (D. auratus, D. azureus, D. leucomelas, D. tinctorius, P. terribilis)

Are any of you going in a different direction than the advised "beginner" species? How is it working out for you? Are you glad you picked the frog you were excited the most about over the suggested "easier" ones out there?

If you had to do it over again, would you have picked a different species for your first frog?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Mine was a group of 5 R. imitator 'varadero' that we added to a 60g cube. Now that they are mature I have a 2.3 and split them out to a 1.2 and 1.1.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Azureus were my first frogs, and as long as i keep frogs i will keep them. Mine are incredibly bold. I have since shifted my interest to thumbs as most people do once they get comfortable in the hobby. That said i fully intend on owning leucs at some point as well. The point is, it does not matter what frogs you start with, you will not stop there. they are all great. does it come down to color? i was always really struck by a blue frog, yellow and black occur commonly in nature, but blue is rare. Especially the bluest blue that ever was blue (How i describe my azureus to people). ummmm rambling, mine was Azureus

·
Registered
802 Posts
Azureus. I would also love to get some leucomelas at some point though. For some reason thumbnails don't interest me as much as everyone else. I have little desire to have a room full of them (well, actually that would be awesome to have a room full of frogs no matter what they are... :) )

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Mine was a group of azureus froglets about 11 years ago. After about 2 years I lost the last of them due to inexperience on my part. Four years ago, when I decided to try again, I bought a sexed pair of azureus. I don't think I'd do it differently.

However, 11 years ago, most of the literature stated that pumilio were impossible to breed and difficult to keep and there were only a handful of different species/morphs available at that time.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
My first were leucs and auratus (bought both at the same time). I still have that original leuc today... He's calling as I type this.
Bryan

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
A group of azureus. I chose them because if I was only going to end up with one type, I wanted it to be the "blue ones". I mean really, a blue animal!

What a joke, I now have 70ish vivs and hundreds of frogs!

Deb

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Erik,

I'm sure you didn't intend for this post to be insulting to those of us who specialize in non-thumbnail frogs, but you should know that there are many hobbyists who work with D. tinctorius almost exclusively. They are not just the "beginner" frog. I have seen quite a few people here start with little frogs that hide-out most of the time, only to learn of the total awesomeness of the tincs later on.

To answer the OP's question, D. leucomelas and D.t. azureus in 1997.

Take care, Richard.

Azureus were my first frogs, and as long as i keep frogs i will keep them. Mine are incredibly bold. I have since shifted my interest to thumbs as most people do once they get comfortable in the hobby. That said i fully intend on owning leucs at some point as well. The point is, it does not matter what frogs you start with, you will not stop there. they are all great. does it come down to color? i was always really struck by a blue frog, yellow and black occur commonly in nature, but blue is rare. Especially the bluest blue that ever was blue (How i describe my azureus to people). ummmm rambling, mine was Azureus

·
Registered
87 Posts
My first were 3 Leucs. Great little guys although I have had some problems with one.

I am still very new to this, but I would recommend Terribillis. About a month ago I got 5 mints and they rock. They are super bold and are like tanks. They just stand there and could care less that your looking at them, which I find totally hilarious. Plus they eat like crazy and you never have to worry about them getting stressed cause they enjoy being in groups. I think they are great but I havent had them long so we'll see.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts