Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum,

I am in the process of creating a 110 gallon european style vivarium but I am torn on what to put in there.
I would love some dart frogs but I can also get my hands on 3 indonesian water dragon (which are quite rare).
My gf and I are in love with leucomelas and have experience with many reptiles by now so we can probably handle somewhat more diffucult animals.
The only problem we have is that our house gets pretty warm around 35 degrees celsius (93 fahrenheit). and im afraid the frogs will get cooked in the terrarium. I have 4 pc fans and multiple fans in the house...
If we do get darts we want either azureus or leucomelas and some other animals in with it.
The tank is 100cm high 50 cm deep and 80 cm wide.

Any1 got suggestions?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
with those temps, the lizards will be a better bet. Temps that high can cook a little frog

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the thing is i have plenty of cooling fans etc around the house and for on the terrarium. But I have had a gecko die before because I was not home when it suddenly got warm.

I just dont want to take any chances with the animals, but I really really like frogs:p

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
93* inside a home? If you have some fans do a temperature test inside the viv to see what you get. I am pretty sure it will take more than fans to get that temperature down suitable for darts.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Maybe for $250 you can get a 12,000 btu ac unit that would create a room sized micro climate set around 75f ... Just an idea?

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you have a basement you could just put the tank down there in my house it can get that warm in the summer with the basement staying at the low 70's. If there is gonna be water you could put some african mundskippers in it they are cool and love warm temps and high humidity. They are a brackish fish though so some though and planning will help when selecting plants

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive gone out and bought an airco unit to make my house a bit better suited for both me and my pets.
My gf and I have decided on dart frogs for in the tank and maybe some lygodactylus capensis/williamsi for in the upper part of the tank.
The tank is spacious enough for them to coexist.
My gf wants a blue colored dart frog so we have settled on dendrobates auratus or azureus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts