Feeding Mantella's

I currently am keeping:
4.4.0 mantella viridis
6.1.0 mantella aurantiaca
1.0.0 mantella madagascariensis
0.0.1 mantella pulchra
3.2.0 mantella laevigata
0.0.2 mantella crocea
There diet consists of a constant supply of fruit flies, d. hydei and d. melongstar, dusted pinheads occasionally, anything wild that I can trust to be safe from pesticide, and soon confused flour beetles and springtails. I have read that the bigger variety of food, the better. If you can't provide a huge variety, then make sure you use supplements with your other food. As for crickets, I HIGHLY recommend you purchase them online, in bulk, and just get a big tupper ware container to keep them in. you can buy 1000 crickets for around $10 shipped. As for fruit flies, I have an AWSOME media that produces thousands and last up to 2 months. If you want the recipe, let me know. My email is [email protected]. Also, check aquabid.com in the live food section. You can find very cheap cultures of anything.

Now, for individual frogs species that I know, I read that m. viridis, and m. betsileo live in forest where fruit is present. So they have a large diet of wild fruit flies. Betsileo's should be fed mainly fruit flies, and viridis should atleast have a helping of flies a day. I recommend to find as many alerternatives to crickets as you can. There is no mantella that would eat crickets in the wild. Good luck everyone

· Registered
1,330 Posts
FLour beetles

You are supposed to feed the flour beetle larva to the frogs, not the actual beetles. It iskind of a termite replacement. Very nutritious. Most frogs do not like to eat actual beetles. The shells are too hard for them to chew and digest.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.