Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my tank is all set up and looking good. However the temps right now get as low as 63 or 64. If I want to get any frogs (planning on getting leucs) i need it to be stable only going as low as 70 at night correct?

I originally got a UTH to heat it, but don't want to mess up my tank. I have an aquarium heater but since the viv is already built I cant put it in there. I know most of the year the temps will be fine, especially during the day when the lights are on. But not in the winter months. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
177 Posts
63-64 at night? I believe these temps are ok if they are as low as it gets.

Also, where are you taking readings? I would imagine there are warmer and cooler spots in the viv and this is good as well. Others will chime in, but if mid 60's is as cold as it gets, I think your frogs will be just fine...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have your pick....
Amazon.com: heater
The link didnt work, but if those are space heaters, I already have one. Only thing is, I dont want to spend a lot of money heating an entire room for 1 tank if i dont have to.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
It's not optimal bit it's not really cause for concern. As long as its only for a short time period each year it shouldnt pose long term issues

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought a couple of those "plant light" bulbs from Walmart. An actual bulb to hang over my ten gallon, and a 48" tube light (the Plant and Aquarium bulb) to replace one of the cool flourescent bulbs in the shoplight fixture on top of my 55 gallon tank. They put off a decent amount of heat, so be sure to check it with a thermometer, but I was able to bring the temps in those tanks up 6 or 7 degrees, solving my winter problem, and the plants are flourishing under them. I keep my thermostat at 68 though, so it doesn't get quite as cold at night, but I agree with the others that 64 at night probably won't bother your leucs. One thing I've learned is that electricity is the biggest expense of owning dart frogs. I don't want my guys to freeze and I need the fruit flies to breed, so I bit the bullet and turned the heat up a bit.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Ill try somethin like that probably.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts