Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. i recently got a 100 gal. plexi glass tank. i want to do a background on it but through research i have read that this plastic warps with humidity and heat.
the tanks dimensions are 60'x18"x17" and the plastics is a quarter of an inch thick.
i got this tank from my uncle who works as a mover. the tanks in real good shape with only a few scratches on the left/ride side walls.

is it worth the trouble to build a vivarium from this tank? and if so would GS or clay background be best?
im not sure wether i will use this tank for my first darts or for crested geckos i already have. i plan =on using this tank vertically as i have no room and place for it horizontally.
also is there a way to remove the front panel?th one with the holes?id like to replace it with glass so that the bottom is set and the top can b ahinged door.

here are some pics maybe it will help??

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a plexi glass tank its doing okay I think the warping only occurs for tops or single pieces of it. I had some plexiglass as a top for my tank and it really warped.

Reactions: Pumilo

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a plexi glass tank its doing okay I think the warping only occurs for tops or single pieces of it. I had some plexiglass as a top for my tank and it really warped.
So, your plexiglass tank is one with an open top, not front? Do you now use glass for the cover?

·
Registered
209 Posts
My tank is like yours just in a ten gallon. I used plexiglass for atop for glass tank and it really warped. Are you planning on making that a tall tank?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You're right, it's really single pieces that tend to warp. Pop a glass top on and you are good to go.

For your 100 gallon project. Acrylic is chemically welded, not glued. There is no way to remove a panel shy of cutting it off with a saw or a router. Here is what I would do. Get two pieces of acrylic cut to bond over the holes that you don't want there. Use Weld On 16 for a glue. It wont be pretty there so plan on incorperating your background to cover those. Now get some of the tracking that is referred to in LookinRound's thread. Put sliding glass doors in the tracks.
Alternative, get a few stainless steel hinges, nuts, bolts, and washers. You could also consider nylon nuts and bolts...something rustproof. Bolt the hinges onto the acrylic and use silicone to glue the hinges to the swinging glass door.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My tank is like yours just in a ten gallon. I used plexiglass for atop for glass tank and it really warped. Are you planning on making that a tall tank?
I'm going to make mine in an old entertainment center I've had just sitting around for years. It's nice and in good condition, but they just aren't as useful as they used to be :p So, with that the tank will be roughly 26" W x 28" H x 15" D putting it at about 47 gallons

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive been following that link to see if i can get any help.lol

ok so what if i was to cut out the front panel with all the holes with a saw as close to the border as i can and then pry off the little bits sticking out flush to the border??
this way the i can mount a fixed piece of glass on the bottom third and build either a sliding door or hinged door out of glass for the top two thirds??

i was also thinking of cuting off 2" from sides the side, which would be the top and bottom as im doint it vertically. so that i may install my lights on the top frame and place glass underneath it so that the plastic warping wouldnt be a concern anymore.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
ive been following that link to see if i can get any help.lol

ok so what if i was to cut out the front panel with all the holes with a saw as close to the border as i can and then pry off the little bits sticking out flush to the border??
this way the i can mount a fixed piece of glass on the bottom third and build either a sliding door or hinged door out of glass for the top two thirds??

i was also thinking of cuting off 2" from sides the side, which would be the top and bottom as im doint it vertically. so that i may install my lights on the top frame and place glass underneath it so that the plastic warping wouldnt be a concern anymore.
You can't pry the bits off. It's not glued, remember? It's chemically bonded. That glue joint is every bit as strong as the acrylic itself. Stronger if its been beaded with Weld On 40. Plus, even if you could, you would have a naked edge now, no longer reinforced with another sheet against it. So now it is prone to warping. There are no proper, frog safe glues that will bond acrylic to glass, as was discussed in the other thread. Silicone will seem to stick, just long enough to get you in trouble. Soon enough, it will simply de-bond from the acrylic and your entire front face and door assembly will simply fall off.
Why will a piece of glass between the lights and the top of the viv stop the humidity from warping the acrylic? Are you thinking that it is being melted by heat? It is being warped by humidity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh thats right i forgot..
no the glass was to prevent my geckos climbing into the light fixture and accidntally geting burned with the bulb..

and i was thinking about using hinges and screwing one half on the plexyglass end and using eposy on the real glass end and leaving it with w/e small gaps may be so that a bit of air can pass to help with ventilation..

yeah i thought heat made the plexiglass warp...but crested geckos do not requiere as much humidity as darts so will it still warp??

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
That I couldn't tell you, sorry. No experience with Geckos or low humidity vivs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts