Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Time builder here. I have 24x24x24 60gl aquarium that Im looking to build soon. Im wondering what techniques have changed over the last 10-15 years. l Dont shame me but im also wondering if a water feature is possible
with this size. I dont see many examples of cube paludariums/vivs. So Im open to all suggestions. And if you have Links to Cube builds, mainly 2", please share.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I haven’t been in the hobby for ten years, but I’ve read a ton of old threads on the board and one of the main changes seems to be increasing ventilation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
347 Posts
When it comes to the controversial water feature you have to first consider what you're looking to put in in regards to fauna. Are you looking for darts? If so, I'd err on the side of caution and skip it, unless you're looking for additional upkeep besides trimming. I'm all for water features, but only certain species, D. Auratus, are noted to appreciate the water feature which at the end will be a shallow puddle at best. In regards to a paludarium, if you're going that route darts will not be appropriate for that water volume and lack of floor space, even with a 24x24x24" cube.

I don't want to shy you away from the water feature or a paludarium, but just keep in mind you either build a habitat around a specific species or you try to cram a species into a habitat that may not be appropriate for them. Figure out what you want before jumping in. If you want a Paludarium, by all means go for it! If you want a specific dart species, then build the enclosure around their requirements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i want dart frogs for sure and yea i figured i cant have a crazy deep pool. i want D. Auratus to be my first dart frog so i want a water feature and dont mind the upkeep. I Just want to make sure i do it the right way.

·
Registered
629 Posts
One thing I am seeing as a relatively recent change is the difference in substrates. From reading old threads it looks like ABG has been the gold standard for a long time. More recently people have been using turface/safe-t-sorb (calcined clay) as a substrate. I've seen a few people mix in or do pure aquarium aquasoil substrates as well. I'm doing this in my latest build. Regarding the water feature, they are hard to make look good and the smaller the space you have to work with the harder this is to do.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
They're hard to make look good AT THE BEGINNING, they're almost impossible to keep looking good. Your water feature will collect hundreds of dead fruit flies, Isopods and other gunk.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I agree, waterfeatures have absolutely zero benefit for the frogs + the could easely become a potential hazard for the animals in no time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are clay backgrounds still a thing? I remember them from about 10 years ago.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts