Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im soon to be building a vivarium for epipedobates tricolor, it is 24" long 12" deep and 18" tall. im using a false bottom made of eggcrate to raise the substrate 2" off the floor of the tank. my question is, what substrate or substrate mix should i use in the tank?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use a variation on Atlanta Biological garden's mix in all my vivariums. One part partially decomposted oak leaves, one part ground tree fern fiber, one part ground coco fiber, one part orchid bark, .5 part charcoal, .5 sphagnum moss, .5 peat (peat makes it too acidic for many applications) or you can buy a bag from T & C Terrariums. Here is a link: http://home.att.net/~a.j.calisi/supplies.html

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'd use a mix that drains well, sand or pumis, and has something that will create a lower pH, milled peat moss.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a follow up question, how long will soil, like the atlanta botanical gardens mix last for... i have been using this mix for a while now and its starting to look kinda crappy. i'm thinking i need to change it, but that's gonna take alot of work..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
soil change

I've never changed mine. with a good nitrogen cycle established, you won't have to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts