Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Lowes looking for eggcrate (which they didn't have :evil: ) and saw a few small inexpensive fountain pumps. A 30 gph and 70 both designed for constant use. Would the 70 be overkill, I'm olny pumping the water about a foot up. I'm going to start building my first tank as soon as I get that dang eggcrate so any opinions would be very helpful.
Thanks,
-Curt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There should be a max head listed on the pump. This will be high it can pump. I would also recommend you allow a few extra inches on this measurement.

Are you looking for the egg crate in the lighting section? You should be able to get this at any hardware store.

I run a rio 90 that is rated at 85 gph. This pump has worked fine for me. One thing i have found is the smaller the pump the less vibration/sound, if you care about this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i use the rio 90 as well it works well as does the next size up,
plus it comes with a valve so you can control flowrate, which can be very useful!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll go ahead and check the max head on the pump and see if it will work for me. The Lowes I went to did not carry the eggcrate but I'm sure I can find it easily when I get back to Austin this weekend. I looked all over and asked the lighting dept. Thanks for the help,
-Curt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from personal frustration and expierence in Lowes, the egg crate is not in the lighting section! Why, i dont know, but they keep it in the cieling tiles section. apparently they figure it's more a cieling type panel for a drop cieling than a lighting element.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Munky, thats exactly where it was... now I can start my project. Got the screen, pump, pvc, etc.......everything I need to start. Even picked up a cheap bromelaid. :D I'll be starting this early next week and come back with any more questions then. Unfortunately the frogs won't be for another couple months due to my current finances but I'm going to save up for a sexed pair of something, probably azureus. They seem to be easy to find and work well for first timers (pretty too!!)
-Curt

·
Registered
986 Posts
Curt,

I bought my first pump from Lowe's as well. I was certain that 70 gph was overkill . . . but now I wish I would have gone with that one. :? I have mine in a 60 gallon terrarium, and it provides a nice, constant trickle. However, I wish I would have gone bigger. I think the fountain pumps do a nice job for a small amount of money. I've been using two nonstop for about a year and a half now, and haven't had any problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You want to get a decent sized pump that has an adjustable flow rate. I have several of them, since I at one time thought my first pump was dying and bought a second one. Then I picked up the Zoo-Med pump at Petco for $4.50 because it is normally $17 and can run dry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts